Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

First I should ask can they be tested in circuit? 2nd is between all the pins for the secondary side should I be seeing 0 Ohm?

What sort of SMPS is it?

If you know the AC in is present and what the DC output voltages should be then why shouldn't you test in circuit?

No you shouldn't be seeing zero ohms between all pins on the secondary side if it's disconnected from the load.

Please be careful here because I'm not convinced you really know what you're doing and dangerous voltages are involved.

What sort of SMPS is it?

If you know the AC in is present and what the DC output voltages should be then why shouldn't you test in circuit?

No you shouldn't be seeing zero ohms between all pins on the secondary side if it's disconnected from the load.

Please be careful here because I'm not convinced you really know what you're doing and dangerous voltages are involved.

Power supply I should be seeing 12V and 5V

Are you testing the supply as a whole, or just the transformer?

If just the transformer, then yes, you probably will see near zero ohms. Secondary windings of switchmode transformers are often only a few turns. And primaries are often not much more. I've done line voltage SMPS transformers with as few as 30 turns on the primary.

If you are trying to find the cause of a failed supply, it is very unlikely that the transformer is at fault, as it is just about the most robust component in the system.

And, as tronitech mentioned, be very careful, when working on SMPS'. There are lethal voltages present.

Are you testing the supply as a whole, or just the transformer?

If just the transformer, then yes, you probably will see near zero ohms. Secondary windings of switchmode transformers are often only a few turns. And primaries are often not much more. I've done line voltage SMPS transformers with as few as 30 turns on the primary.

If you are trying to find the cause of a failed supply, it is very unlikely that the transformer is at fault, as it is just about the most robust component in the system.

And, as tronitech mentioned, be very careful, when working on SMPS'. There are lethal voltages present.

Thanks for the warning :) I have moved on to another suspect part.. two optoisolators and right now I'm trying to find out info.. I have no reading on the Collector/Emitter side regardless if the LED is on...

I was following this here.. and the only thing that works for me is just testing the LED but not the reverse way they are saying.

**broken link removed**

*edit Nope they are fine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back