Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMS Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlingo

Hi all,

I have been looking for a SMS controller kit all over the place but am unable to find one.

Jaycar electronics (Australian company) used to sell one but they no longer stock them and wont be getting any back in.

An example of what the kit does and what I would like to do is here..

**broken link removed**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGXhxfnqRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMe8CyWdx8g

I would like to devise a system where when a door opens using a normally open door contactor it sends a text message to a specific phone and also use it for possibly controling other items remotely.

A friend of mine has given me a broken SMS controller that he use to use of which is basically a Nokia 5110 phone with a pcb slid into the back of it where the battery went, it has a 12V source and when 12V is put across 2 contacts it sends a text message.

I am in the UK

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

Your Jaycar link doesn't work for me, but i think this is what you were refering to. **broken link removed**

You say they don't stock it anymore, I tried to put it in my basket and it allowed me to do it, so I assume it is in stock.
Try the link and see if it works.

Cheers,
Leftfield95.

Last edited:
Hello Leftfield,

Ive been in contact with Jaycar AUS and Jaycar UK and they no longer do this board or know anyone who does it...Ive even tried on the place who made the boards for silicon chip **broken link removed** unfortunatly the guy who owns the business died on the 15th June and his son is not accepting e-mails. I can see the boasr on there for $27.50 V sc 12110041 $ 27.50 3011A SMS Controller (4in/8out) 2004Oct

Ive searched for days now all over google etc..im sure there will be an mms controller somewhere at an affordable price (with or without using an old phone) that has several inputs and outputs?

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

OK, so that's a deadend. So you are looking for a Mobile based I/O controller, do you want a completed module, build up a kit of parts, or roll your own design ?
There used to be lots of these about but they have all slowly disappeared, as have the phones they used to connect to. One DIY project was here -
https://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10266
I think I still have the files that I downloaded from his blog, I can look if your interested ?

Regards,
Leftfield95.

Hi Alex,

That module uses the 900/1800 band as a minimum spec, this is OK for the UK, the 900MHz band is only used by Vodafone & O2, the higher band is used by all UK providers including Vodafone & O2 so any SIM will do except "Three". However if it meets type approval for Europe that's a different question.

Send me a PM of your email address and I will send you the file, it's half a Meg in size.

Regards,
Leftfield95.

Thanks for the sms controller file leftfield...

Im going to e-mail it to my dad right now as he understands this sort of thing a lot more...

Is there a material picking list for this project...I also notice theres a piece of software thats needed to program it and the microcontroller that needs a hex file etc

Thanks

There's no pick list, just the full schematic in the pdf, also there is no PCB layout, so you will have to design your own, or use veroboard, etc.
The SMS interface is not very user friendly either, so it might be difficult to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back