SMT with butane powered soldering iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgemailo

Hello everyone! I recently bought a soldering iron powered by butane gas. I noticed that there is a tip for that iron named "heat blower" [ **broken link removed** (tip S-07)]. Does anyone have tried to use that tip for mounting smds? Is it good enough??? Thanks in advance!

personally i don't think butane would be that great for SMT's, just too much fluctuating heat, not to mention that but it from the looks of the tip you'd be heating up the whole component and not just leads, would probably fry the component before you even got it mounted..

It's much too wide for SMT's, it's for heat shrink sleeving - for SMT's you need a much narrower, more concentrated, nozzle.

And don't forget that what you have in your hands is a miniature blow torch, able to ignite anything flammable. Heat guns only output heat. Butane torches output heat and FIRE (the ignition source).

Dean

georgemailo said:
Does anyone have tried to use that tip for mounting smds? Is it good enough?
I wouldn't use it for anything electronic unless you are in a remote location with no plug in for your regular iron. It is very hard to control the tip temperature and the exhaust port tends to cause collateral damage in tight spaces. As for SMD, as noted by Dean, it'll probably light the flux on fire.

Thank you very much. I will have in mind all of your advices but I can't resist to have some tests by my own. I will try if there is any propability the iron to be useful for SMDs. I'm curious !!!! Thanks again!

They are all probably worrying unduly, the Weller butane iron is designed for SM use, and you can buy a suitable nozzle for it - but, like I said before, the one you posted is for heat shrink sleeving and far too large for SM work (won't get hot enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…