Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snow Plow Blade Height Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaford1

Hi, I'm new at this and I don't know anything about designing or building electronic circuits, and would like to know if this can be done. I have a 4 wheeler that has a blade on it to plow snow with. This is run off of a winch to raise and lower the blade. My problem is that I cannot see the winch to see how high the blade is being raised and have broken numerous winch cables. I was wondering if a circuit could be built and mounted on the blade and 4 wheeler, that would give an indication of when the blade is raised to a certain height that would turn on a light or something. I would want this to work off of the +12V aux. plug on the 4 wheeler. Any help someone can give me with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Some thoughts:

A. As suggested, limit switches might help to prevent the cable breakage problem.

B. As an alternative to the limit switch - could you monitor the current going to the winch motor? If so, an unusually high reading might indicate that you're at risk for breaking the cable. Not high on my list but it might be better than nothing.

C. I'd presume that the winch winds cable on a drum. Does the cable lay in one layer on the drum or is it a random winding of multiple layers? Reason for asking - some means to count drum rotations and portions of rotation might provide you with the feedback you need.

D. Any way you can put a flexible rod or similar item on the blade so that you can get a sense of blade height, relative to the hood - or whatever it is that you can see while driving? I do the same thing with my utility trailer - I can't see it in my rear view mirror so I have a fiberglass rod driveway marker mounted where I can see it - I can't see the trailer but I can tell where the trailer is at all times.

Thank you Diver300, 3v0 and stevez for your response to my problem.
Diver, is there a place to get a rudder indicator for a boat or a diagram showing how to build one?

3v0, are there diagrams showing how to build a circuit using limit switches? I'm not sure how these work or would have to interface with my winch or blade. Also, I only want something than can be mounted on my 4 wheeler during the winter and taken off when I remove the blade in the summer. I do not want anything to interfere with my winch under normal usage for the summer months.

stevez, my winch is a 2,500lb Warren winch with a drum that has multiple layers of cable on it. I also would not want to get into the factory wiring for the switch on my handle bar that controls the in and out operation of the winch, as this would probable void the warranty.

I appreciate all of you trying to help me with this and hope to hear from you again about this.
Thanks,
Jim

I forgot to tell you that I only need something that keeps the blade from going to high. How low it goes is not a problem.
Thanks,
Jim

I think the easiest solution would be a visual indicator like Stevez said.

If that won't work, I would look for a way to fit a proximity switch on the blade, and either make it switch on a light just before the winch runs out of cable, or better yet, make it shut down the winch.
The trouble is anything electrical you make is going to need to be rugged and sealed up very well. I live in Minnesota, so I know what kind of abuse a snow plow sees:D Cold, extream vibration, packed snow, salty sloppy corrosive snow ect.

I have an old bulldozer with a cable lift blade. It dosn't have anything to prevent this same problem. You can't see the pulleys either. You just learn how high you can raise the blade in relation to the ground, else it has enough power to snap a 1/2 cable and drop its 4 ton blade.:D

Andy1845c said:
I think the easiest solution would be a visual indicator like Stevez said.

If that won't work, I would look for a way to fit a proximity switch on the blade, and either make it switch on a light just before the winch runs out of cable, or better yet, make it shut down the winch.
The trouble is anything electrical you make is going to need to be rugged and sealed up very well. I live in Minnesota, so I know what kind of abuse a snow plow sees:D Cold, extream vibration, packed snow, salty sloppy corrosive snow ect.

I have an old bulldozer with a cable lift blade. It dosn't have anything to prevent this same problem. You can't see the pulleys either. You just learn how high you can raise the blade in relation to the ground, else it has enough power to snap a 1/2 cable and drop its 4 ton blade.:D

Thanks Andy,
I'm pretty good at judging how high to raise the blade, but sometimes I make a mistake lol. Do you know if radio shack sells proximity switches? If not where I can buy one?
Thanks,
Jim

I think you're over complicating it -- I would do as 3v0 suggested -- a basic limit switch is exactly what you need.

In the simplest form of an explanation, you need a switch -- it can be any king of switch you want for your situation -- a sealed one would be preferable for outdoor applications. The easiest solution would be to get a NC (Normally Closed) switch that will allow power to flow until the switch is activated (and make sure it's rated for your power requirements).

You should have three wires (I'm assuming, as mine does) -- one common, for ground, and one power for each direction (up/down). What you do is cut the power wire and splice in your limiting switch inline. Mount the switch on the 4 wheeler, above the blade (obviously in a location that will not inhibit the operation of the plow or 4 wheeler) so that when the blade is at the maximum UP position the switch is activated (depressed).

So, what happens is, with the blade down, the switch is NC, allowing power to flow to the winch... when the blade makes contact and activates the switch, power is disrupted and the winch stops. The two remaining wires (Ground and power for the DOWN direction) are live and will allow the winch to lower... once it lowers beyond the switch, the switch again allows power to flow.

jaford1 said:
Do you know if radio shack sells proximity switches? If not where I can buy one?
Thanks,
Jim

I doubt radio shack will have one. Check the online electronic parts supplier. Jameco, Mouser, Digikey, ect.

Kyle's method is much simpler then a proximity switch would be, but my thought was to go with somthing sealed with no moving parts.

I guess it depends on where you can mount the switch though, and how much snow is going to get into it.

You could use a reed switch to do the sensing. Put the switch on a spring arm (or spring loaded arm) above some part that comes up. It flexes to keep from getting smashed, should make adjustment easier.

When the moving part with magnet mounted to it touches the reed switch, the switch will close and open a NC relay. That would cut the power to the winch.
As mentioned earlier the down circuit remains functional.

You could use a moveable arm with others sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back