Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So close with the Inchworm+ PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

danuke

I've got my inchworm+ assembled and am trying to get it working to upload programs. When I got to the instructions about selecting the OS firmware file ICD01020701.HEX, the closest thing that came up with MPLab IDE v8 is ICD01020704.HEX. Is this a newer version of the same file? I'm anxious to get this thing in action and upload my first program.

Thanks for all the help that you have supplied. I know it's been a trial dealing with many of my questions.

Joe

That's just the newest version. It'll work fine.

It must be a 16F877-20 for that file, else use the one on my site for the 16F877A (MPLAB will still upload new firmware it just won't overwrite the bootloader)

When downloading the ICD2 OS, I received the following errors after a few seconds during the download...

ICDWarn0020: Invalid Target device id (expected=0x40, read=0x0)

any ideas on what I need to do to correct this message?

Sounds like your Inchworm works. 0x00 usually means it's not seeing a target device. Take a look and try building one of the Inchworm Quick Projects from the poster on my site.

Is the ICD2 OS supposed to be uploaded to the PIC that come with the inchworm or to the end PIC I want to program? I understood it as being uploaded to the PIC supplied with the inchworm and I dont have the programmer hooked up to a "final target" PIC. That may be the problem was just the way I understood the instructions. The PIC that came with my inchworm+ is a PIC16F877-20/P.

If it is the final pic with my code on it that needs the OS, will that file change depending on the final target PIC (ie a 16F628A)?

The ICD2 firmware will be loaded automatically when needed.

Your target PIC does not need any special firmware unless you use the debugger (not available in the 16F628A) and when you debug MPLAB will load it automatically

When you do correctly connect a target PIC like the 16F628A (a good PIC) MPLAB will say it's OK. As for programming you can start with Nigels tutorials or for your very first one follow the advice in my last message.

Also check out the links section on my site for lots and lots of PIC information including tutorials.

Thanks for the help. I uploaded a program to a 16F628A and then read it back to see how some of the basic functions inside MPLab worked. I'm happy to report everything went smoothly. Again, I appreciate all the help.

Joe

danuke said:
Thanks for the help. I uploaded a program to a 16F628A and then read it back to see how some of the basic functions inside MPLab worked. I'm happy to report everything went smoothly. Again, I appreciate all the help.

Joe
Woohoo! Another happy Blueroom customer! Now you need a Unicorn under that Inchworm+ to make it go MUCH faster. :D

futz said:
Woohoo! Another happy Blueroom customer! Now you need a Unicorn under that Inchworm+ to make it go MUCH faster. :D

I've actually already started thinking about that. How hard is it to solder the pins under the ICD2 PIC to connect to the Unicorn? Would I need to take the socket off?

danuke said:
I've actually already started thinking about that. How hard is it to solder the pins under the ICD2 PIC to connect to the Unicorn? Would I need to take the socket off?
Ooooohhhhhh... You didn't put the connector on first!?! :eek: Might be difficult then. Depends on your IC socket. If it's an open frame one, you could probably solder most of the pins fairly easily. Some will undoubtedly be difficult and you'll end up melting up your socket a bit at the very least. With a good fine tip iron and some careful soldering I think it could be done.

Desoldering and replacing the socket is quite difficult too. None of this is impossible. Just kinda difficult. Too much abuse could kill your Inchworm+ board (lifted pads). Gotta be a bit careful.

Last edited:
futz said:
Ooooohhhhhh... You didn't put the connector on first!?! :eek: Might be difficult then. Depends on your IC socket. If it's an open frame one, you could probably solder most of the pins fairly easily. Some will undoubtedly be difficult and you'll end up melting up your socket a bit at the very least.

Desoldering and replacing the socket is quite difficult too. None of this is impossible. Just kinda difficult. Too much abuse could kill your Inchworm+ board (lifted pads). Gotta be a bit careful.

Unfortunately I didn't have the pins to put on when I started to assemble it :eek: . As for the socket it has an open center except for a single narrow piece in the center for support. I guess I'm kinda stuck with what I got for now. May try to figure out a way to add it in later though :)

danuke said:
Unfortunately I didn't have the pins to put on when I started to assemble it :eek: . As for the socket it has an open center except for a single narrow piece in the center for support. I guess I'm kinda stuck with what I got for now. May try to figure out a way to add it in later though :)
Ah well, the Inchworm+ by itself (serial only) is still way faster than the programmer I used before I bought my Inchworm+/Unicorn and Junebug (crappy K-150 - stay clear of those hunks o junk!).

Last edited:
You can carfully clip the 40pin socket ends off, and then it's easy to solder that underside connector.

I'm happy to see you got it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back