Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sodium bicarb - terrorists or drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

has anyone noticed it's hard to buy large quantities of sodium bicarbonate lately?

I had a big 5# box of arm and hammer in the laundry room, worked real well on stinky socks and sweaty shirts. The box finally ran out. So I go to the grocery where I bought it, the arm and hammer is still in the laundry isle, but it's just the tiny 8oz box, same you can buy in the baking isle. So I head over the baking isle, and again, only the tiny box for sale.

Heading to wallyworld, I check again for the big box - no dice. Next I head to the hardware store to see if they sell it, nope.

So I'm thinkin sodium bicarb has been added to some watch list as a dangerous reagent... either used for making drugs or bombs? Crystal meth is the popular crack-down drug right now, but as far I can find, bicarb isn't used in the production of it. It is used in the process for crack cocaine, but I don't think that is the problem here.

Has anyone noticed it still on or gone from your store shelves?

No problems with sodium bicarbonate here in Cleveland, but then, my socks don't need the industrial pound size. An 8-oz box fits in the refrigerator nicely. :)

I have had a similar problem in buying gallon-size containers of MEK. I can buy 4 quarts with no problem (other than cost), though. What amazes me is the mentality or lack thereof in the decisions to limit these product sizes. As if a 25% cost increase for 4 quarts vs. a gallon is going to discourage a meth lab or bomb maker.

John

PS: I am not really sure how bicarbonate is involved in terrorism. I have read of someone committing suicide by eating a whole lot of it.

My wife says you can get a 4 lb box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (aka sodium bicarbonate) at Wal Mart for $1.87 or about $0.03/oz. They're practically giving it away.

Sodium Bicarbonate is not used by terrorists or drug makers and can be found in the pool shop hiding as PH up.

Mike.

justDIY said:
guess there's no demand for bicarb here, so they stopped carrying the big boxes?
You were the only person buying the big box, every couple of years.

justDIY said:
must be a local market thing then - guess there's no demand for bicarb here, so they stopped carrying the big boxes?
The Wal-Mart I was referring to is in Ypsilanti. That's gotta be in Michigan it's the only one. Once again
4 lbs. $1.87 plus tax

jpanhalt said:
No problems with sodium bicarbonate here in Cleveland, but then, my socks don't need the industrial pound size. An 8-oz box fits in the refrigerator nicely. :)
So you're telling us that you keep your socks in the fridge? You prolly like eating limbeurger cheese too, right?;)

HiTech said:
So you're telling us that you keep your socks in the fridge? You prolly like eating limbeurger cheese too, right?;)

Oh, you just got caught redhanded jpanhalt. Better be more careful next time.

Gorgonzola dolce has just appeared in the Cleveland market. It's a soft, spreadable gorgonzola, as you might guess from the name. It's good with or without socks. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back