Solder Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites that would teach me to solder circuit elements to a circuit board. The thing is, is that I bout a bunch of circuit elements like resistors, and IC's, and I didnt even think about the fact that I have to solder them together on the board. Well anyway I dont know how to do it and I just need some guidance before I start making my circuit so that I dont completely destroy it.

Thanks a lot.

Read thru the guide that is mentioned then gather some scraps together and practice. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

I am a self taught hobbyist (when it comes to electronics). My soldering toolkit contains a 25 watt soldering iron with replaceable tips (I use conical only) and a 100 watt soldering gun. I also have a 25 watt desoldering iron (vacuum bulb on tip). Most of my work is accomplished with the 25 watt iron. It's got a high and low switch - and a holder to keep the iron off the table when not in my hand. I keep a wet sponge on the holder to clean the tip - and a tinning/cleaning cup close by. I keep some rosin flux handy - sometimes applying a thin coat to a board or pad after cleaning it.

Make sure the solder you have is appropriate for the application. The manufacturer will indicate the use of it.

Radio amateurs (hams) do a lot of this and there are likely to be articles on soldering in amateur radio references. ARRL (American Radio Relay League) and RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) might be organizations to contact. You might actually contact a local club and ask for some coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…