Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder sucker - dumb instructions, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoid

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Expres..._1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1403923606&sr=1-1

On the back of the packaging it says: "Clean before use. To clean, remove the tip, clean the body, internally. Once the body and tip are clean, replace the tip." It says the same thing on the little instruction sheet inside. Why clean it before use? Does it mean each use? How do you clean the body? It said nothing about cleaning the tip, but then it said that once the body and tip were clean to replace the tip. I'm assuming "replace the tip" means to put it back on, not buy another tip.

Steren has some retards working for them...

You have to learn another language: Chinglish.

Interpreted: Clean before first use. During manufacturing some metal particles might be present.

And: Clean every so often. Dump the solder, Get rid of the yucky flux. Lubricate the O-ring, etc.

I have never cleaned a new solder sucker.

There are two (three) thoughts on the use of tools. (and guns)
Clean before use or clean after use.
1)Some people leave their tools in a dirty state and only clean then just before use.
2)Some people clean their tools after use so they are ready for use another day.
3)There is the rest of the people that only clean a tool when it is so dirty that it will not function . Clean after it stops functioning four times.

The above goes for solder suckers, guns, air driven tools and sex.

Gentleman (and ladies) please clean your tools.

You take it apart and bang it lightly to knock the solder off.

I doubt you have to do more than that,

A lubed "o-ring" always helps. O-ring grease or possibly Vaseline would work.

I doubt you have to go as far a a "test tube brush" and solvent,

e.g. https://www.sciencecompany.com/Test-Tube-Cleaning-Brush-6-inch-P6284.aspx

There are chemicals known as "flux removers" https://gokimco.com/techspray-1621-...er-10oz.html?gclid=CJ3ei7CQnb8CFabm7Aod-ksADg They are usually pretty volatile. Acetone generally works.

Cleaning a joint soon after soldering helps. Your solder may contain a water soluble flux, so water is the solvent.

Now, if you just happened to have an ultrasonic cleaner, use that,

I don't see a O-ring in it, unless it's on the removable tip?

For not water soluble flux, someone said rubbing alcahol would work? Do you just rub it with a cotton ball?

I just took my metal solder sucker apart and it definitely needs cleaning and lubing. There were two o-rings. One at the threads where the tip attaches to the cylinder and an O-ring on the piston. Reasonable lube would be silicone grease from the plumbing department of a hardware store/

Isoproppyl (rubbing alcohol) alcohol is somewhat weak. Methanol might be better. Acetone (nail polish remover) works on PCB flux. Acetone attacks mosts plastics.

You can always wash it and then rinse with any sort of alcohol. The alcohol will displace the water and will dry very fast.

Methanol, methyl hydrate, methyl alcohol, wood naphtha, wood alcohol and carbinol are all names for THE SAME compound.

Rolled up bounty paper towel pushed in and twisted around some = clean as you can want!
Also use toothpicks or dental picks/ small soldering tools to clear residual solder from the nozzle. I have had solder suckers since 1979. Recently upgraded to a Hakko 808 due to working on closely packed boards. Solder suckers splat solder balls around and they can cause problems in fine pitch device shorts.

That's pretty much the one I have, It comes apart at the silver-blue seam and at the end at the black silver seam.

Watch how it goes together. The connecting rod is actually the clean out rod and the spring surrounds that. When put together, the piston will be at the release button side.

People gave bad reviews about the tip burning or melting probably because they used a cheap soldering iron that is WAY TOO HOT!
My solder-sucker is almost the same except it is almost all metal. It is about 25 or 30 years old and still has its original tip because my soldering iron regulates its temperature.

I have never cleaned a new solder sucker.

There are two (three) thoughts on the use of tools. (and guns)
Clean before use or clean after use.
1)Some people leave their tools in a dirty state and only clean then just before use.
2)Some people clean their tools after use so they are ready for use another day.
3)There is the rest of the people that only clean a tool when it is so dirty that it will not function . Clean after it stops functioning four times.

The above goes for solder suckers, guns, air driven tools and sex.

Gentleman (and ladies) please clean your tools.

LOL...only just saw this...

I consider my tool to be VERY important....so it is always kept in tip top shape.

:):):):):)

tvtech :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back