Soldering Iron and Infrared gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Just a couple questions for folks that buy stuff online. I'm in the market for a temperature controlled soldering iron, (higher the wattage the better) and a non-contact infrared gun style thermometer, preferably one with a laser guide.

I was lead by a user here (can't remember who right now) to https://mpja.com/

They have what seems to be a nice inexpensive temperature controlled soldering station, and they also happen to sell a pistol style non contact IR thermometer.
I'm basically trying to keep the purchase of those two items as close to 150 dollars as possible or less with a site that has other things that might be useful. MPJA had some nice breadboards as well, as I'm growing out of the small generic one I have. I'm interested in anyones experience's with MPJA and I always keep an open mind so links to other sites that sell what I'm looking for and maybe some other stuff I wasn't for a decent price.

Sceadwian said:
I'm interested in anyones experience's with MPJA and I always keep an open mind so links to other sites that sell what I'm looking for and maybe some other stuff I wasn't for a decent price.

Hi, Scead

About the soldering station. I recently bought one from Jameco that I am very happy with. It is 45 watt, and variable temp, of course. The catalog # is 229673 if you want to look it up. I have purchased several items from Jameco, with good results. They also have the laser thermometer you mentioned.

As to MPJA, I have no direct experience with them. I recently requested their catalog, but have not received it. At first glance, they seem to be slightly more expensive, but they are closer to my location, so ship time might be reduced.

As just an aside, I am beginning to lose faith in these discount houses. Perhaps it's just a run of bad luck, but I recently dealt with three of them, and experienced either long delivery times, wrong merchandise, and/or defective merchandise. With the high cost of shipping coupled with the usual minimum order, it is rather discouraging to wait a week or more only to receive a component you can't use. I did receive credit for the defects, etc., but still had to re-order and wait some more.

Hope this helps.

I have purchased a number of items from mpja.com as well as other friends. Never a problem other than I do not need all the catalogs. The website has more on it.

I have the $34 or $39 dollar unit. Works very well. I bought extra tips not knowing it came with the tip I wanted, but I will use the others one day if not lost.

On the temperature IR gun. I have one from harborfreight.com and it works fine. I caught it on sale for $19.95 at a sidewalk sale, I think it was around $40 when not on sale.

But I have had good luck at both places. As well as Jameco. But I always seem to pay more there? Jameco is probably a larger operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…