Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ads

Hello Everyone

I am currently developing a new soldering iron as the final year project of my BSc (Hons) Product Design degree at Bournemouth University, England.

At the moment I would like to address the handle and grip position…

Do people in general feel happy with the standard “pen” style grip? Would you prefer a more ergonomic “designed” handle? Would you appreciate a shortened distance from the fingertips to the iron bit?

Has anybody used the pistol grip style irons incorporating solder feed?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Adam.

Maybe a "thinner" handle, but pistol grip I would not use. Maybe a lens on the end to see things better.

Solder feed would be nice as I can not see well and getting the solder to the tip on the joint is work.

If it is like my welder, that will not work either since it never feeds the right amount.

I would not use an automatic solder feed. The feed rate, diameter and positioning of solder is something that I vary under fingertip control for every solder joint I make so I can't imagine a satisfactory automatic setup.

The pencil type iron is so very familiar and has been the main-stay for so long that many, like me, will respond that they simply don't want to change. The issues that I have with various models include:

- pen-holder (the place where you park the iron when not in use) moves around the bench too much. Needs to be anchored in place, or weighted to avoid movement. Most irons have fixed this I think, just not mine.
- the insulator that keeps heat from my hand tends to slip down the iron too easily. It should remain in place.
- some irons are too fat and hard to hold (metcal comes to mind) while others are fine (weller).
- I wish I had a hot air pencil as good as the old Hakko I used to use. (off topic, I know)
- I solder 99% of the time under a microscope and when working on 0402 SMD parts and fine pitch leads, any shaking of the hand becomes a problem (and I'm not getting any younger!). So I solder by keeping the heal or side of my hand on the bench and pivoting on that point with the pencil. I can't imagine doing this effectively with a pistol grip design. I think it helps a lot to have the first (pointing) finger out straight for better stability or rather, directly opposing the thumb in the classic pencil grip. A pistol grip would occupy the first finger holding a trigger and you wouldn't be able to stabilize this way. The diameter of the pencil and the weight of the pencil should be as small as possible to facilitate this.
- I don't have any complaints about tip interchangeablility as I tend to maintain three irons on my bench, a fine tip, a medium-fine tip, and a large tip. And in case of really big stuff, the gun or bar iron comes out. So I'm not changing tips all that often anyways. This points out that any iron should be small enough so that you can have at least two on the bench without taking up much space, and preferably three.
- you might consider combining a hot air pencil into the design too, but on the other hand I really hate it when an iron station becomes large and uses up critical bench space. I've got two of the those all-in-one solder/hotair/desolder/vacuum stations in addition to my irons and they are a pain in the neck most of the time because they are too big.

Desolder option for me would be great.

Also, I have the wellers, and they move on the bench like you say and I think they are still to thick to hold. Also shorter as long and you can keep the heat away from the hand.

Thanks...

can i just ask, would you class yourselves as hobbyists or professionals???

-Adam

I would like to have a fume extractor built in to the iron, but sort of "coaxial" with the handle, not a tube sticking out of the top. It would then draw away the fumes into a charcoal filter or some such.

I'm a grad student, so does that make me professional? :)

I would like a decent range of smd and quad package tips with an inbuilt smd pick-up vaccum. Also, cheesy I know, but I would like a decent properly focussed light on my work piece...
I would only consider this in a slimline pencil style, pistol grip styled Irons are just damned awful to work with on a board in a tight spot...I am a Professional user, and currently favour Pace gear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back