Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid State Automatic Voltage Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdesai

Dear friend,

I had one Tek Guard's Solid State Automatic Voltage Stabilizer for TV.

Input V : 230 v A.C.

Output V : 220 to 240 V AC.

Input is 230 V A.C. But output obtain is 280 V A. C. I found all components OK. Thre are two Relays, One auto Transformer, Circuit with two presets and two outouts.

I am unable to find where problem is. If any body has idea, please help me. I want output between 220 to 240 V A.C. for 230 V A.C. input.

Waiting for prompt reply.

Thanking u in advance.

Regards.

M. R. Desai.

Maybe it is 280VAC because you are measuring while it is not under load (I assume)? It might have been designed so that when under load the voltage drops to within specs.

It also seems a bit pointless?, any remotely modern (25 years?) TV will work perfectly well between 220V and 240V, and usually over a MUCH wider range.

Why do you feel the need for such a device?.

The reason these exist is to enhance the revenue opportunity for AV stores. I got a total gang rush about buying one when I was shopping for my home theater components. "Your audio will sound better and your video will be more stable" was a laughable one. One salesman told me that my video would have more saturated colors - he claimed they weren't set up for it when I asked for an A/B test. The most devious line was about properly shaping the AC waveform since there is "so much noise on the AC lines". How would the average consumer be able to even verify this? I didn't buy from that store. Maybe this would be usefull if using a generator or inverter but even then, I doubt it. Those systems all have pretty decent power supplies.

Years back, we used to run two small cable systems at work, they were put in before my time, and were all valve. Apparently when it was first installed they had continual complaints and spent hours every day going round adjusting the gains of the repeaters. Eventually they realised it was due to mains voltage fluctations - and fitted expensive constant voltage transformers, which completely cured the problem.

But this was 45+ years ago! - it's not been a problem since transistors came along!.

Thanks a lot to every body for replying. My existing stabilizer was giving huming sound. And it was few years old. So I opened to clean and tightning the relays screws to stop the sound.

I can do that but while measuring input and output voltages, I found much different and I was not sure about this different.

Specially I m thankfull to dknguyen. I m free from confusion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back