Some questions about the LM567 Tune Decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyyYo

Hello! I am going to use the LM567 for a project where a coil is supposed to detect a magnetic field in a certain frequency, using the LM567 to filter out other frequencies. The magnetic field is going to be 48KHz. Now, how do i set the LM567 to 48KHz? I really didnt understand much of the datasheet provided, i am kind of new to more advanced electronics. Thank you in advance

Edit: Instructions for the newer LMC567 is okey too, i have access to both, so

Last edited:
From the LMC567 datasheet, p.4:

Finput=1/2.8RtCt
solving for RtCt,
RtCt=1/2.8Finput
Given Finput=48000
RtCt=7.44e-6

I would use Ct=1nF, Rt=6.8k in series with a 1k pot.
The value of C2 depends on your desired detection bandwidth. Choose it using the graph titled "Bandwidth as a Function of C2". For example, if you want 8% (+/- 4%) detection bandwidth, Fo x C2 (Hz-uF)=1000. Since Fo=Finput/2,

C2=1000/96000 uF = 10.42nF. Choose the nearest standard value (10nF in this case). This is just an example. You may need a different detection bandwidth.
Choose C1 depending on your detection speed requirements. This will depend on how fast your frequency is changing, how quickly you need to detect this change, and how much noise immunity you need. If you have no idea, start with 10nF.
RL depends on your load and your supply voltage. Since I don't know either of these, I'll recommend 10k. If you can supply more info, we can refine all these values.
Be sure to read the applications section carefully, and follow the recommendations for input coupling and supply decoupling.
And keep in mind that I have never used this part.

EDIT: Corrected the calculation and value of C2. Thanks for catching that, Ned.

Last edited:
Hehe okey! Thank you for the detailed explanation, it helped a bit I think i am going to supply it with 5V. I can of course change it to something higher if nessesary (my microcontroller is using 5V, so its easier).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…