Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

someone made cool heat sink for ic stack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voidptr

Ok ,

I got this motor shield, with flimsy L293D hbridge :eek:p
I'm planning to stack 2 L293D together to have more current, it should works fine ...

But I also want to include some kind of heat sink in the stack,
anyone here did this before and came with cool nice designs ? ;-)

I have few chunks of black anodized aluminum that I plan to use for that .
:)

Haven't tried it, but how about glueing some of your aluminum to the bottom of each IC in between the legs with some thermal epoxy. It could extend about 1/2 inch beyond each IC.

An L293 IC is a low current device that is not designed to use a heatsink.

Use an L298 instead that has double the current capability and has a metal tab that can be bolted to a heatsink.

An L293 with a glued-on "heatsink" made from the side of a tin can?
Instead use an L298 with a bolted-on real heatsink.

You can buy sinks designed for dil devices, farnell comps do, or used to do them.

Thanks all :)

Has I said it is a arduino motor shield already made, so i have to stick with what is already on the board, so just stacking another L293d will give just the safety current I need in case I got a motor stall, and the heat shink was just in case they come hot a little bit.

so after few toughts, i was heading for some sortof 2 pieces of aluminum glue on top on each ic, but after rereading the datasheet Iwill probably go for some sortof 2 mounted pieces on the ground pins each side, who should give me better heat transfert ... i dont think they gonna be very hot anyway ...

:)

but after rereading the datasheet Iwill probably go for some sortof 2 mounted pieces on the ground pins each side, who should give me better heat transfert
Yes thats what I would do, the pins are made to dissipate the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back