Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sonar senser,laser distence measuring senser and diffrent types of sesers

Status
Not open for further replies.
IR Sensors: SHarp IR Sensors
https://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/c_Sensors.html

Sonar Sensors too:
https://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/c_Sensors.html

Forget about radar unless you $10k+ is a small amount of money to you. Can't build them either.

This is the only link I've found on the internet that even comes close to telling the specifics of sonar):
**broken link removed**

To actually understand it you will need to know a fair bit of electronics first, and with that you should also be able to come up with your own circuits based on your own knowledge once you have a few pointers to get you started.

how use & make a sonar radar.diff. b/w sonar,ir senser &what ir senser.

life is struggle so always b+:)

Hi Pradeep,

I will answer your second question first. (By the way, it is "sensor", not "senser".) An IR sensor detects IR, which is infrared light. For instance, many television remote controls use an IR transmitter to send codes to the television, which has an IR sensor which senses the IR light signals and decodes them to control the various functions of the television. IR sensors can also be used to detect the distance to objects, or just to sense ambient IR light (say, from the sun), and for other tasks.

Sonar utilizes sound waves instead of light. For instance, an ultrasonic rangefinder is a way of determining the distance to objects by using high-frequency sound waves instead of light. You send a quick blip of sound and time how long it takes to bounce back from the target object.

You can make a simple sonar by spinning an ultrasonic rangefinder and plotting the results as it scans.

What are your requirements for this project? i.e. what must the finished product be able to do?

What is your level of electronics engineering? I don't mean "how many years of school do you have", I mean "what kinds of projects have you designed and built that worked?"

Torben

thank frnds for u,r information.

i know about infrared sensor, i don,t know ir is short form of infrared.
:) i make a sonar for long range because i found some prototype circuit of sonar but it range is very low so i make a sonar which range is minimum 50 meter. u help me find this.

i know about infrared sensor, i don,t know ir is short form of infrared.
:) i make a sonar for long range because i found some prototype circuit of sonar but it range is very low so i make a sonar which range is minimum 50 meter. u help me find this.

Is this in air or in water? 50 meters is a long way for sonar in air, since ultrasonic frequencies are absorbed fairly well by air. You will need a powerful driver and a sensitive receiver.

Can you answer the questions that I asked? They will help us to help you.

Torben

Is this in air or in water? 50 meters is a long way for sonar in air, since ultrasonic frequencies are absorbed fairly well by air. You will need a powerful driver and a sensitive receiver.

Can you answer the questions that I asked? They will help us to help you.

Torben

Morning Torben,
Another problem which I expect you are aware of is deflection of beam by air draughts.
I agree about the 50mtr problems.
We used to test our 33KHz and 200KHz depth sounder systems in air,
about 10 to 15mtrs was the limit at the high powers we were using.
EDIT:
For comparision the 33KHz system would work 500mtrs in water and the 200KHz about 180mtrs.
Of course you have to allow for the mismatch in air versus water giving a lower pulse coupling.

If someone opened a window the draught would deflect the beam.

Last edited:
Morning Torben,
Another problem which I expect you are aware of is deflection of beam by air draughts.
I agree about the 50mtr problems.
We used to test our 33KHz and 200KHz depth sounder systems in air,
about 10 to 15mtrs was the limit at the high powers we were using.

If someone opened a window the draught would deflect the beam.

Morning Eric!

While I have read about the problems caused by draughts, I have never experienced them myself. My own rangefinder project was a very simple one using an AT89C4051--hey, it's what I had on hand ;)--and I was pretty happy to get a 3 meter range with ~2cm accuracy. I have not done much (OK, barely any) testing with it in wind. It operates at 38.4kHz.

The work you (and some others) have done just makes me wish all the more that I could afford to go back to school for electronics engineering. I intend to eventually but food comes first. :)

Torben

Last edited:
Hello,

It sound interesting using sonar in water is much better than using it in air as a medium. What about different liquids, I mean such as oil or different liquids with no transparency does it effect sonar range. I believe that, it should effect it slighty because sonar work using sound. Am i right?

Can you recommend sonar to be used underwater or other liquid that can range 100m?

It only depends on the density of the liquid and not it's opaqueness. Sound tends to travel fastest through solids, slower through liquids, and slowest through gasses. I don't know about attenutation because even if sonar in liquid was worse than air, but still better than RF in water, then sonar would still be a better choice. So the comparison is not as much as sonar in air or water, as it is a comparison of all possible methods.

Sonar isn't used in water because it works better in water than in air- it's used because it works better than RF or light in water.

Last edited:
Hello,

It sound interesting using sonar in water is much better than using it in air as a medium. What about different liquids, I mean such as oil or different liquids with no transparency does it effect sonar range. I believe that, it should effect it slighty because sonar work using sound. Am i right?

Can you recommend sonar to be used underwater or other liquid that can range 100m?

hi,
A quick and easy method is to buy a 150KHz echo sounder system from a boat chandlers shop.
The type used by yacth sailing boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back