Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Activated Device (Desperately need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamacue

Hi Guys,

As part of a project, I'm required to build a sound activated device to start a tape recorder. This is the first electronics course I have done, so I'm still pretty much electronics-illiterate. Anyway, I've been looking through books and on the net (seems there are quite a few similar projects on these forums), and I think I'm getting somewhere.

It must,
- Filter out frequencies of below 100Hz
- Have a timer to record from 1-10min (User adjustable)
- Be battery operated

So far, I've figured that I need
- Condensor Mic
- Op-amp (Non-Inverting amp)
- High Pass Filter
- Some sort of timer
- Transistor switch

I'm still unsure about how I will provide a user-adjustable 1-10 min timing option.

Am I on the right track? I'd appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks.

Hi,
You are on the right track.
For a timer the "classic" approach is to use a "555" timer IC. The newer 7555 CMOS version is better for longer delays. Do a web search for 555 timer, NE555, LM555, ICM7555.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

Flamacue said:
Hi Guys,

As part of a project, I'm required to build a sound activated device to start a tape recorder. This is the first electronics course I have done, so I'm still pretty much electronics-illiterate. Anyway, I've been looking through books and on the net (seems there are quite a few similar projects on these forums), and I think I'm getting somewhere.

It must,
- Filter out frequencies of below 100Hz
- Have a timer to record from 1-10min (User adjustable)
- Be battery operated

So far, I've figured that I need
- Condensor Mic
- Op-amp (Non-Inverting amp)
- High Pass Filter
- Some sort of timer
- Transistor switch

I'm still unsure about how I will provide a user-adjustable 1-10 min timing option.

Am I on the right track? I'd appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks.

As a Starter, You could use a MC2830P.
It is a "Voice Activated Switch", Integrated Circuit in an 8 pin Dip Pkg.

It may not be available from normal sources anymore, But I can supply it.

Gary

The 555 timer by itself is not good for 10 minutes. You need a count-down circuit which could use a 555 oscillator as clock input. Use a 1 Hz clock and divide by 600 (600 seconds in 10 minutes). U need 10 stages in the divider. To figure the taps, subtract the largest power of 2 possible from 600 then subtract the largest power of 2 from the remainder, etc until nothing is left. For shorter time delay, speed the clock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back