Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound to motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

si_k

:confused: :)Hello,

I am building an object with a moving part, which needs to move via a servo, depending on the level of sound.
[So at maximum volume pick-up it will be fully extended and vice versa.. it also needs to act on the range of sound in between].

Basically (I'm guessing) it needs a microphone at one end, then some circuit or chip which can process the level of sound coming through.
And then something which can send a signal to the servo to move accordingly.

My question is what are these processing parts?

I've also been told that a separate power source may be required to power the servo, since it requires more power than the circuit will produce from sound energy.

I should point out, I am an absolute beginner with electronics; I was hoping a circuit might already exist, or at least a kit which I could buy.

Any help would be brilliant!
Thanks very much for your time.

Sound To Motion.

You need;
Microphone pre-amp, LM3914, o/p buffers/or inverters, R ladder network and probably a Microcontroller.

The Lm3914 LED bargraph can be used in the 'dot' mode. It has 10 o/ps. You can tap any one of the 10 o/ps to position the servo. But you will need additional hardware. The microcontroller can be programmed to read 1 of 10 3914 o/ps and drive the servos.

how do i make the circuit?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,
So once I get those parts, how do I go about making the circuit (I have a soldering iron but I've never really made a circuit before!).
Where do u reccomend getting the parts from ordo you know of any existing kits?

Also do you think you could explain the process on how the parts work as I am unsure of what they are or what they do! and it may help for me to understand the circuit I am trying to build.

Thanks again

Google, the great tutor!!

Hello!
This type of questions will get you some nasty replies from everyone!:D We dont like to spoon feed anyone. nor should you!
What you must do is Google for these components. You will get plenty of information etc, data sheets. Download and go through the pages. Some circuits may fit your application. Choose that and see if you can wire them yourself on a solderless bread board first.

Then ask for any help!!.

Good luck!

mic and opamp to amplify signal.
rectify and filter and probably amplify one more time.
use this DC signal to modulate oscillator and produce PWM.
send PWM to servo.

check servo tester circuits, they are simple... ask if you need more help.

another thought

I am working on gathering the components and knowlege to build this circuit.. thanks for the help.

Just wondering, do you know how hard it would be to take the sound signals (from the microphone and amp) and transmit it as a radio wave to a reciever.. like with r/c models which could then power the servo.

So really if the first part exists/could be made easily..
microphone, amplified, transmitted?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back