Sour Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane2oo2

hey guys
this may seem like a weird question but...
sour milk is slightly acidic right? ...well instead of using potatoes/lemons to produce small amounts of electricity ...would it be possible to also use sour milk?

if you could....does anybody know the likely amount of current it would produce? and would it be enough to power one of those 'battery test' strips that u see on the side of some AA batteries?

thanks
Kane

Kane2oo2 said:
and would it be enough to power one of those 'battery test' strips that u see on the side of some AA batteries?

I wouldn't have thought so, they require 1.5V and a high current, designed to apply a suitable load to the battery.

As far as I understand it, the acid is only part of the equation, you also need two electrodes of dissimilar metals in order to make a simple cell. The stuff you read about powering things from a potato, or a lemon are rather misleading, in my opinion.

Those high current "battery test strips" are a brilliant way for battery manufacurers to sell more replacement batteries! A lot of a battery's life is used-up each time the battery is tested. Any electrical load that makes heat draws a high current.

Potato, lemon, etc battery is a bit deceptive because the fruit isn't the source of the energy. You two dissimilar materials, such as the carbon/zinc electrodes from a carbon battery. Those contain the stored energy and are consumed (changed into a corroded form) as the energy is used up. Any conductive liquid works... I think even salt water works, although acidic stuff works much better. But the liquid's not the source of energy any more than the copper wire you hooked it up with.

Still they're fun... I saw a guy who created what should be the world's largest potato battery. Pretty high voltage. Short shelf life before mold takes over.

Potato, lemon, etc battery is a bit deceptive because the fruit isn't the source of the energy. You two dissimilar materials, such as the carbon/zinc electrodes from a carbon battery. Those contain the stored energy and are consumed (changed into a corroded form) as the energy is used up. Any conductive liquid works... I think even salt water works, although acidic stuff works much better. But the liquid's not the source of energy any more than the copper wire you hooked it up with.

Still they're fun... I saw a guy who created what should be the world's largest potato battery. Pretty high voltage. Short shelf life before mold takes over.

Gosh, I wish I'd said that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…