Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

source drivers / level conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitmangler

Two questions:

1. Somewhere on this site I saw a schematic for performing level conversion. It basically was an NPN driving a PNP and allowed, for instance, a 5v system to drive a 12v load. Can anyone locate that post?

2. Is there a chip which has an array of these "NPN / PNP" drivers on them (like a ULN2003)? I have found chips called "8 channel source drivers" (e.g. UDN2580), but I'm not sure they will do the same thing. In particular, the "source drivers" have a common source, whereas the "NPN/ PNP" drivers have a common ground.

Thanks,

Here is a schematic of a level shifter schematic. When the +5V signal is applied to the input the load will have about 12 volts applied to it. There will be a voltage drop across the emitter collector junctions.

Attachments

• level shifter.png
    level shifter.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,264
Ok, I think I figured out what was confusing me...

I've attached schematics of the UDN2585 and UDN2981 as taken from their datasheets.

The UDN2981 has an input NPN which switches the high-side PNP and it looks like it will work for me.

The UDN2585 does not seem to have the input NPN.

Note: the second image is the UDN2981.

Attachments

• udn2585.png
    udn2585.png
    45 KB · Views: 3,567
  • udn2981.png
    udn2981.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,278
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads