source drivers / level conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitmangler

Two questions:

1. Somewhere on this site I saw a schematic for performing level conversion. It basically was an NPN driving a PNP and allowed, for instance, a 5v system to drive a 12v load. Can anyone locate that post?

2. Is there a chip which has an array of these "NPN / PNP" drivers on them (like a ULN2003)? I have found chips called "8 channel source drivers" (e.g. UDN2580), but I'm not sure they will do the same thing. In particular, the "source drivers" have a common source, whereas the "NPN/ PNP" drivers have a common ground.

Thanks,

Here is a schematic of a level shifter schematic. When the +5V signal is applied to the input the load will have about 12 volts applied to it. There will be a voltage drop across the emitter collector junctions.

Attachments

• level shifter.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,264
Ok, I think I figured out what was confusing me...

I've attached schematics of the UDN2585 and UDN2981 as taken from their datasheets.

The UDN2981 has an input NPN which switches the high-side PNP and it looks like it will work for me.

The UDN2585 does not seem to have the input NPN.

Note: the second image is the UDN2981.

Attachments

• udn2585.png
    45 KB · Views: 3,567
  • udn2981.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,278
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…