Spam/adware attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, I am EXTREMELY P***ed off right now. It was looking like there was no way I could get rid of the virus without reinstalling Windows 7, which is what I did. I had the setup on a flash drive (yes, it was 100% legal). I ran the setup to reinstall windows 7 ultimate, and it went through the process, but once it was finished, it started running this really cr*ppy version of windows, with a stupid looking resolution (everything was supersized and stretched) and it wouldn't let me change it to the correct one for my computer. It also doesn't have any drivers installed, so I can't use USB devices, the network adapter (to access internet), or anything. I can't even go online to install the drivers I need! Windows 8 was working fine, but windows 7 was not. So I re-ran the installer, wondering if I'd chosen a wrong setting somewhere during the installation, but I ended up with the same problem. I then noticed that it had replaced my working windows 8 OS with this cr*ppy windows 7! So I lost ALL of my work, programs, settings, and decent OS's, and my laptop is practically a brick now. I have no idea what happened, or more importantly, how to fix it. I can't even begin to describe how annoyed I am. I don't know what I'm going to do. I need this computer for work-related things and I really can't go without it.

For the time being, I'm using my old Acer, but this thing really can't run any of the programs I need, so it's not a replacement. I need my old one back ASAP and have no idea what to do. Any ideas? Please tell me there are real computer geeks or even former members of the Geek Squad, or SOMEONE out there who can help me. I have faith in you guys. My stress level is just through the roof.

Regards,
Matt

This is what's making me wonder if it's a new generation. None of the old methods to remove it seem to be working. I've tried everything I could find, and none of the directions match up with what I'm seeing.

Anyway, I'm currently installing Ubuntu to try to get myself back online at least, with the necessary drivers. Maybe from there I can do a fresh windows installation.

I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help.

Best wishes,
matt

So Ubuntu finished installing at about 12:30 a.m., so that's what I'm running now. As soon as I can figure out what I need to do from here, I'll see about recreating the partition and reinstalling 7.

Matt

Okay everyone, guess I should let you know what's happening.

I realized that the severely limited version of windows 7 ultimate with a wacky resolution and no drivers was there because the drivers aren't included in the installation. I never knew that. Apparently the drivers come on a separate disc, which I couldn't seem to find. I don't think it came with my installation CD. Anyway, I used my other laptop to download the most critical drivers (to get me online, for one) installers onto a blank DVD. From there, I was able to load it up in my "limited" version of 7 and installed them manually. Once I got online through a wired connection (which was no easy feat in and of itself), I was able to download the rest directly from the lenovo website. It took about 4 or 5 hours in total, but I now have my computer running as it was before the wipe (as far as I can tell, at least). I'm going to put all of the driver setup .exe files I had to download from the website onto the cd, just in case something like this happens again.

I have yet to recreate the windows partition and reinstall windows 8, but for the time being, this will suit me well.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you who helped and gave me suggestions. Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistakes. I can't help but feel I should have known that the drivers didn't come with the installation....

So now that I have everything working fine again, it's time for me to go to bed! Hopefully I can sleep a bit tonight instead of staying up all night trying to fix my laptop

Have a good evening/day everyone, and if the world should end before I awake tomorrow (11:11am GMT), it has been a pleasure working with you all!

Best wishes and kind regards,
Matt L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…