Spark suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catnamedog

Hi
I've just joined the forum. This is my first post, so I apologise if its in the wrong place.

I'm building a bottle-filling machine, and am using a 12V DC relay to switch 220V AC mains across a 1.5A rating n/o relay contact. It will operate a 220V AC solenoid valve of around 1A.
The relay draws about 0.5A, and is operated by a liquid level float reed relay switch.

Can anyone advise me on the value and composition of the 2 spark-suppression capacitors I will need across both the relay contact and the reed relay contact?

If you're interested, I could publish the circuit diagram I 've drawn up for the machine. Its very simple.

The best suppressor across the DC relay is a diode, in reverse so that it takes no current when the coil is energised.

A capacitor of about 0.1 uF would be OK for the AC solenoid. It should be rated to 500 V DC or more, and it is a good idea to put 100 - 500 ohms in series with the capacitor, to limit the inrush current into the capacitor.

How about using a zero-crossing solid-state relay to power the solenoid. It would be much longer lasting then a relay and you wouldn't have to add any suppression circuits to either device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…