Speach Synthesys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brass

I hope I spelt the Synthe.... part right , that word always gets me.

Anyways, can any one recommend an electronic text to speach synth, preferably one with inflections that sounds as human as possible without having to sell a kidney and available as a project to build.

Cheers

It is spelled "speech synthesis".

Have you looked at the speakjet?

**broken link removed**

Do you really need to convert text to speech? Or do you just need to code it to say something (rather than record sound samples)? THis one, you code it to say something based on a library of speech allophones that it pieces together.

THere is also this IC that can go with it to convert text to code for the speakjet:
https://www.speechchips.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=19

And there is this PCB for the speakjet too:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I listened to the Speakjet samples. Buzz, buzz= O-pen. Buzz= Close.
Isn't this 2006, or is it 1972?

**broken link removed**

There are two available at the top. One has a woman's voice, the other is a man's voice.

Marks256 said:
**broken link removed**

There are two available at the top. One has a woman's voice, the other is a man's voice.

I has a listen to the samples that were available, although I could understand what was being said what was all that crappy noise I was hearing in the sample, if thats what spoken text sounds like in hardware after all this time... we have a LONG way to go.

It sounded like a screach all the way through.

Are there any better ones that wont break the bank ?

Sounds like a very low sample and bit depth on that parallax device. The Speakjet definately sounds cooler Check out the blast off low sample...

Brass said:
Are there any better ones that wont break the bank ?
You could always hack an MP3 player. 1 gigabyte of high-quality recorded sound samples, you could make hardware to jump between the sound bits and piece something together.

This has been done before on a computer. It sounds like crap, but i guess if you spend enough time on making the samples correct, then it might sound ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…