Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmikejt12

hi, for my car CD player in my room, I am looking for speakers... at the moment i use my logitech 2.1 which i also use for my PC (plugged into the RCA sockets on the cd player)

The max. output per channel is 45W (4 channels)

so, if i have 2 or 4x 100w speakers, will the player just provide each with up to 45W, or would it damage the cd player?

and also, if i have 4x 10 or 20W speakers, will the CD player provide to much power to the speakers on a high volume damaging them?

baisically, what wattage speakers can I use safely?

Thanks,
Mike :)

Hi Madmikejt12. It is always better to use spikers with higher watts than the max output power is! In your case it is good to have speakers of 70W or more.Higher wats will not destroy outputs but if you have less wats then the output is your speakers will be demaged.
Bye, Kruno

madmikejt12 said:
hi, for my car CD player in my room, I am looking for speakers... at the moment i use my logitech 2.1 which i also use for my PC (plugged into the RCA sockets on the cd player)

The max. output per channel is 45W (4 channels)

so, if i have 2 or 4x 100w speakers, will the player just provide each with up to 45W, or would it damage the cd player?

and also, if i have 4x 10 or 20W speakers, will the CD player provide to much power to the speakers on a high volume damaging them?

baisically, what wattage speakers can I use safely?

Thanks,
Mike :)
Hi,it is always better to have speakers with more watts than the output power is.In your case from 65 watts or more.Never put less watts than your output power is because it can damage your speakers and outputs too.
Bye,
Kruno

Thanks for your reply :)

100W it is then ;) there is someone sellng some locally.... i will contact him.

CD player can't drive speakers directly (without power amplifier). Your logitech is active speaker with built-in amplifier.

The player output only small signal, less than 1 watt. So, If you have 2 or 4x 100w speakers (active speakers) no need to worry about the player. Most active speaker need very small input power.

You need power amplifier if your speakers are passive.
Otherwise the player already with power amplifier.

The four speaker outputs of your CD player each provide 14Watts into 4 ohm speakers, or 45Whats. Whats are not Watts.
If you use 8 ohm speakers then the power per channel is 8Watts.

the speaker spec says:

first 2 speakers:
Power Rating: 100watts
Sensitivity 86Db
Impedance 4-8
Shielded

second 2 speakers:
8 ohm, 100 Watts, Biwireable

The CD player:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/yefm284127-pdf.13223/

●Use ungrounded speakers only.
Allowable input : 45 W or more
Impedance : 4 – 8 Ω
●Distance between speaker and amplifier: 30 cm or more

I want to know if it is safe to use 100w speakers connected to the amplified speaker outputs??

My power supply is 350W

Last edited:
The Panasonic CD player has four outputs of 45Whats each into 4 ohm speakers.
The speakers must be rated at 45Whats each or more.

You found speakers rated at 100Whats which will be fine, except they are not 4 ohms so the power will be less than 45Whats each.

I wish manufacturers would stop lying about power and specify real Watts.

If the outputs are from a common signal shouldn't it be possible to bridge them for a higher ohm speaker?

The Panasonic CD player and all modern car radios use bridged outputs. That is why the owner's manual specifies speakers that are not grounded.
They provide 14 Watts RMS per channel at low distortion into 4 ohms.

If the outputs were not bridged then the output would be only 4 Watts per channel into 4 ohms. Some car amplifier ICs can drive about 7 Watts into 2 ohm speakers when not bridged.

The power is less if the speaker impedance is higher. The output into 8 ohm speakers is only 2 Watts per channel if the amplifier is not bridged.

ok, thanks for that :) it has cleared some things up!!

could you just tell me the difference between Watts and Whatts?

●Use ungrounded speakers only.
=> don't connect any speaker cable to each other. Might be the amplifier is bridged.
Allowable input : 45 W or more
=> 100 W is OK.
Impedance : 4 – 8 Ω
=> both your speaker type is OK.
●Distance between speaker and amplifier: 30 cm or more
=> I don't know about this one, might be just suggestion for better sounding.

What the differences between Whats and Watts?
I agreed, that many manufactures are lying.
Also 100 W speakers not always survive when they powered with 100 W.
But 10 Watts is enough for small room and everyday listening.

ok, thanks very much to everyone for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back