Speaker resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I have am IC that can drive a 30ohm speaker, I want to use a PCB mounted speaker and find they are 8ohm's will connecting the speaker damaged the IC?

Also is there a rule here, like driving a lower load than specified is OK but not a higher one or vice versa?

Thx

Driving a higher impedance load is usually fine, driving a lower impedance load is harder on the amp (has to supply more current).

I would not use something rated to drive 30 ohms to drive an 8 ohm load. What IC is it?

Reduce the supply voltage to the IC so that the peak current in the 8 ohm speaker is the same as the peak current in a 30 ohm speaker at its normal operating voltage. But the losses in the IC might cause the power output to be low.

First try a 22 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. It probably won't work to your satisfaction but it's simple enough, worth a try.

mneary said:
First try a 22 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. It probably won't work to your satisfaction but it's simple enough, worth a try.
A 22 ohm resistor in series with an 8 ohm speaker reduces the max power to the speaker to only 30%.
The resistor in series with the speaker ruins the damping from the amplifier of the resonances of the speaker. BOOM, SHRIEK, BOOM, SHRIEK.

Let the little speaker resonate at 200Hz. Then you might hear a little of the bass. But an adult male voice will sound boomy. Like a cheap TV.

IC Is

The IC is the VS1001 it has DAC built in to drive headphone but I want a PCB mounted speaker.

Thx

P.S. Thx to everyone so far....

if the ic is designed to drive a headphone i doubt it will have the power to drive a loudspeaker properly - and then add the impedance issue you first raised, I doubt you will hear very much at all.

what's the power output of the ic, and the rating of the speaker?

The datasheet doesn't say how little is its output power. The output amplifiers require a DC blocking capacitor to feed the 30 ohm headphones so they are single-ended and are not bridged.

The absolute max supply voltage is 3.6V so if it uses a 3V supply and the output amplifiers have a 2.6V swing (probably less), then the power at clipping is only 28mW per channel.
Flea power.

Is there a nice little amp ic?

Thx so far everyone, is there a nice little amp IC that would go with this IC? ideally in a SO8 or smaller.

Thx

Every semiconductor manufacturer makes stereo amp ICs.
Your 3V power supply is too low for an amplifier. Some bridged amplifier ICs have an output of 1W into an 8 ohm speaker with low distortion when the supply voltage is 6V.

To Nigel

Hi Nigel,

In answer to your question, as loud as possible ;o) sort of mp3 player loud, tomtom, dictaphone, PSP, Nintendo DS Lite.

I need to hear it and know that in a final design I can have it louder if I need it (by changing circuit and adding parts)

This is just a test project if it goes will what I learn I will build a final version.

Be careful of the details of the IC. Nothing says that the manufacturer cannot build into a 3.6v IC a switcher that will boost the output amp voltage higher for more power.

Dean

More power

Dean, are you saying that this IC might already be able to drive a PCB mounted speaker?

Thx

Is the pcb big enough for you to put your ear on the earphone speaker?
Without a properly designed enclosure the speaker will just be a low power tweeter. SSSST, SSST, SST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…