Specifications of the diode to use with L293NE Half H-driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

UneXisted

Hello folks!

I didn't find the answer with the search tool, so i hope to find the answer by a question. I am gonna use L293NE (which i have already) to control a DC motor. I quote from the datasheet:
On the L293, external high-speed output clamp diodes should be used for inductive transient suppression.
Ive checked the datasheet of 1N4148 and 1N400x diodes, but at the list of specifications i didnt find anything about "high-speed".

Can anyone explain which diodes i could use for my application to drive a DC motor with the L293NE driver. Here at home i have 1N4148, 1N4007 and 1N5819. Thank you.

Last edited:

Hi,

You cant use 1N4148 because it's too light duty, and 1N4007 isnt fast enough. The 1N5819 diode is a higher speed diode so should work ok. Note sometimes they show 1N400x on the data sheets, but that is only good when the frequency is low enough to allow that kind of diode. Most apps will require the Schottky type or other high speed diode.

I guess the only other thing i have to take into account is the current. 1N5819 has a maximum current rating of 1A.

Thank you for your answer.

Hi,

Yes, and for the L293 that should be enough of a current rating.

Does anyone have a recommendation for high-speed diodes with a higher maximum current rating for this application?

Hi again,

If you want higher current then go to the 1N5822 as that is rated for 3 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…