Square Wave Pulse Correction

Prof_UK

Hi All, new member here, looking for some help with a private project. This is for my own entertainment, and not commercial or work related.
I am trying to supply a high current square wave and i am struggling to maintain a square wave across a wide frequency range, and wonder if anyone could offer me some guidance so I can start working this out.

The details are
Frequency Range 0 - 1 MHz
Current 3 - 390A
voltage 5 - 20V

I know the answer will have to be tuneable to cover the frequency range, and that is about all I know at this moment. Further testing will help me narrow down the optimum frequency I need to achieve, but in order to find that frequency, I need a decent square wave to play with..... Any suggestions?

Welcome to ETO!
Sorry I can't offer suggestions, but I'm wondering if you have considered how you will suppress the huge amount of EM interference that project will generate? A 1MHz square wave will have lots of harmonics extending well into the radio broadcast spectrum.

Thank you for your welcome,
Faraday cage is my initial thought, coupled with an EMF meter to check that everything is contained. Physical space is not so much of a problem, so I think a Faraday cage will be the best option I have to begin with.....

I would budget $1/W for the RF design and the ACDC & vbl DCDC supply. Can you afford it? If so let me know.

Pd= 5V*290A = $1,450 to 20V ... $5k8 for material + labour TBD.

Last edited:
Would you have some idea of the slew rates for the rising and fallin edges. This will allow an esitmate of the harmonic content. The faster the edges the more difficult the design will be.

The equipment I have available so far is as follows...
I have a 1000A 0-20VDC PSU - This can be run in CC/CV mode
I have a PLC to provide equipment control, and also to give the square wave pulse.
I have a MOSFET driver board running a G3R160MT12D MOSFET. typical rise and fall times are (supposedly) 40nS
I am just trying to work out how to impedance match / tune the assembly in order to improve the pulse shape.

Your requirements look like almost 8 kW in the middle of the US AM broadcast band. What is it that you are driving.

Separate from that, the only way to improve squareness is to widen the bandwidth. For a reasonably "square" signal, you need signal components out to the ninth harmonic. This means the actual signal bandwidth is 10 MHz, not 1 MHz.

ak

Your chosen MOSFET is rated for 35A if pulse duration is <3us and duty cycle <1%. What pulse rates and duty cycles do you have in mind?

Square wave pulse correction is a critical process in signal processing, particularly in applications involving digital communications and electronics. This technique addresses distortions and anomalies that occur when a square wave signal, characterized by its abrupt transitions between high and low states, travels through various mediums or encounters non-ideal components. Distortions can manifest as overshooting, ringing, or baseline drift, which can significantly degrade the signal integrity. By employing methods such as filtering, equalization, and feedback control, these undesired effects can be minimized, restoring the waveform to its intended shape. Effective square wave pulse correction ensures accurate data transmission and improves the performance of electronic systems, making it indispensable in modern technological applications.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…