Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Squared wave converter to Triangle wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

prprog

I built a 74HC14 squared wave oscillator that I controlled using a capacitor and 12 pots (variable resistors) in series. By ear I tuned each one to a note in the scale. Now I want to change the squared wave to a triangle wave. How do I do this? Can you proposed a circuit?

Thanks

Not so easy. The usual way of getting a triangle (sawtooth) wave is to charge a capacitor with a constant current and then discharge it quickly.

However, the charge rate is constant and therefore the amplitude reached will depend on for how long the charge is going on.

Since the period of your square wave depends on which note (frequency) you select, the amplitude of the triangle will get less as the frequency rises.

There will be ways around this, but it gets complicated.

Why do you want a triangle wave? It won't sound much different to a square wave.

i suggest you use an integrator built from op amps.. just use the frequency to compute for the capacitors and resistors..

dch222

Can you post a circuit ?

This is for Wind Synthesizer. So far I manage to generate 3 octave by using a 4040 IC to divide the original square wave. It will be nice to have different type of wave , to get other sounds.

thanks,
PRPROG

Last edited:
Can't remember where I found it but it should be just the job :)

Attachments

• square to trianle convertor.gif
    square to trianle convertor.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 3,285
Dr.EM said:
Can't remember where I found it but it should be just the job :)
I made a circuit similar to that many years ago. It's a feedback loop that maintains constant triangle amplitude as the frequency varies. The only problem I had was, as anticipated, there was a finite response time. When the input frequency changes abruptly, the triangle amplitude takes some time to settle.

Wow! Can the same technique be used to produce sinewaves?

Once you have generated the triangular wave, you can buffer and shape it.
I want to study this circuit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back