SSM2164 VCA - suitable for tunable state variable filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Thinking of building a tunable state variable filter with a maximum f0 of about 130 KHZ, I started to consider what to use to replace the resistors that control f0, Q and gain.

Amongst the options there is the AD633, analog multiplier and, absolutely new to me, the VCA SSM2164 SSM2164 | Low Cost Quad Voltage Controlled Amplifier | Variable Gain Amplifiers | Amplifiers and Comparators | Analog Devices

Is that VCA suitable? Honestly, I am not sure of what to look for in its specs.

Just in case, I decided already to avoid digital pots or DAC multipliers keeping the above (or similar) as my options.

Help is appreciated.

short answer... that should work, with all of your "resistors" in the same package...make sure you follow the data sheet carefully, as the frequency response of this device has it's limits. fortunately you can optimize the device to work at the frequencies you're interested in by using a smaller feedback cap (i'd say use a 5pf instead of 10pf). if you're making a SVF for 130khz, you're going to want to use high bandwidth op amps as well, TLE2072 for instance (instead of TL072). 130khz is almost 3 octaves beyond the audio band, and most "standard" op amps don't do well past about 50khz. i also noticed on AD's web page that it says "Still In Production but Not Recommended for New Designs " which means two things, 1) the device is scheduled to be discontinued in the near future, and 2) AD most likely has an improved device with the same functions, likely better performance, and possibly pin-for-pin drop-in replacement. look on AD's website for VCAs and VGAs (variable gain amplifiers, but VGAs are usually digitally controlled, so this might not exactly be the option you're looking for).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…