Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stable power supply..

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsoluteCPP

I am searching for a quite stable power supply circuit,
Power supply will take current from Car battery and will produce regulated 4V and 2 Ampere output,
And this power supply will be placed near the car engine, where heat and noise is a major issue,
This power supply will used to give Power to an AVR uC circuit. It must be stable enough, temperature can vary from 25 to 80 C. and some time 2 Ampere current burst also required..

It will be better if it will be regulator IC type power supply with less components,
I am searching from internet that fits my need, But i think it will be better to take some help from experienced persons.

How long does the 2A burst last for?

What's the typical current consumption between the 2A bursts?

You could try the LM317 which can typically handle 2A surges.

You might need to add a current booster though.
**broken link removed**

It depends on how long the surge lasts for.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/LM117.pdf

Burst is required for when A GSM Module connected with uC will send message, Currently i am using 7805 and it is working good, But at this time circuit is on my computer desk, No noise, no heat problem,

But on its actual location (Inside the car bonnet near the Engine) heat and noise can be a major issue.

I am also considoring LM350..

I repeat: i need stable, ripple free, heat tolerant power supply for sensitive components (eg Micro-controller, GSM Module)..

Burst will remain for only the duration when GSM module will send sms..

There will be a board containing AVR and GSM module and these are quite sensitive, i mean power supply must be stable enough.

Heat and noise are the major issue, as i have mention earlier that Board will be placed near the engine inside the bonnet.

I am using 7805 on testing purpose and both modules are working fine but at this time then are on my PC desk (no noise, no heat) but on their actual location (inside the bonnet) heat can go upto 60 ~ 75 C.

I am considering these two:
saving car battery current is also under consideration
LM2576HV SIMPLE SWITCHER® 3A Step-Down Voltage Regulator
and
LM350 3-Amp Adjustable Regulators

I want to know about your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back