Stamp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imnewtothis

I'm new to this sooo u can get ticked at my questions if u want and ill just split. But if you dont mind, ur help would be appreciated. Im lookin into micro controllers such as a stamp2 from parallax.com. But any would be cool. I was wondering if it is possible to program a chip so that u could directly hook a PS/2 keyboard. Or if you could do a monochrome output. or mono for that matter.

Thanks

which one?
and how?
Ive been reading up on parity bits and stop/start bits for like keyboards. but like, what is clock?

There is no clock.
PS2 is a generic serial protocol. The baud rate is usually 9600 baud. By the way Basic stamps suck =) use PIC's or AVR's. They're a little more complicated but a LOT more capable.

Depending on the chip you use there are free but usually limted in program size BASIC compilers far superior to the BS2. Besides for less than the price of a BS2 you could buy my Inchworm kit. (shameless plug)

The Stamps are based on PICs, it's the brain. There are plenty of tutorials out there but if you just want to program them in BASIC then look at https://www.melabs.com/

Although BASIC is easy to learn it will never reveal the full potential of a microcontroller such as the PIC. C is a better choice and so is assembler (free from Microchip).

Basic Stamp for PS2 - Also the Parallax Propeller chip

I have been programming with Basic Stamp IIs and SX-28 from Parallax for a couple of years now. You can connect a PS2 keyboard up but it would greatly help with a decoder chip for this otherwise most of your coding will go into only this. Have you been to the Parallax forum yet?

You may also want to look at their new "Propeller" chip which does do NTSC video, VGA video and PS2 keyboarding with custom coding already done for you.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…