Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting with a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara39

Hi everbody,
I wanna get started with micro-controllers and programming, as an electronic student i passed a course on microprocessors but i wanted to know what kind of a processor do you recomend i start working with in my own place at home?
thanx
Sara
by the way anybody heard of FPGAs?

If u have studied intel microprocessors, then the intel 8051/52 or Atmel 89C51/52 would be perfect microcontrollers for a quick start. Their assembly languages r quite similar to intel assembly. An excellent book for it would be Intel 8051 Microcontrollers by M. A. Mazidi.

For FPGAs, it would be better that u develop a sound understanding of VLSI & ASICs first. An HDL language, such as VHSIC or Verilog would be a good support as well.

Maybe you can learn PIC. it's really easy and they have lot's of internal peripherals. If you want to know more, read
Sticky: Newcommers, please read! (PIC regarded) Upd. 1

BTW: I think FPGA stands for flip pin grid array (a type of IC package)

I think FPGA stands for flip pin grid array (a type of IC package)
FPGA stands for Field Programmable Gate Array
It is a very powerfull parallel logic processing, but requires special software.

Andy_123 said:
I think FPGA stands for flip pin grid array (a type of IC package)
FPGA stands for Field Programmable Gate Array
It is a very powerfull parallel logic processing, but requires special software.
Hmm interesting. didn't know that. :shock:

I recommend starting with the PIC16F88. It's not big and scary. It has some good peripherals. 4K of codespace. And it's a good price.

AND...you can put a bootloader on it and do endless downloads to it with just three wires connected to the PC serial port. Nothing speeds learning more than being able to continually make changes and see the results.

Mike

upand_at_them said:
I recommend starting with the PIC16F88. It's not big and scary. It has some good peripherals. 4K of codespace. And it's a good price.

AND...you can put a bootloader on it and do endless downloads to it with just three wires connected to the PC serial port. Nothing speeds learning more than being able to continually make changes and see the results.

Mike
I agree that 16F88 is more usefull than 16F628 or 16F84 (I use 16F88 where possible), but it's easier for beginners to start with simplier chips like 16F628. I find bootlader *very* usefull, and I highly recomend to implement it once you heve learned enaugh about PICs. :D

Ya I would definitly go with the PIC, it is good for electronic project's and robotic's and elec.

Jay.slovak said:
I agree that 16F88 is more usefull than 16F628 or 16F84 (I use 16F88 where possible), but it's easier for beginners to start with simplier chips like 16F628. I find bootlader *very* usefull, and I highly recomend to implement it once you heve learned enaugh about PICs. :D

It's the same instruction set. I would say that more learning will get done and faster if you use a chip with a bootloader. You can test out ideas in seconds.

I'm thinking about making a dev board for the 16F88. It'll run a bootloader and have a small breadboard. And I'd run it of 4 rechargable AAs so no messy cord and I could use it with a laptop wherever I want. Lots of times I want to try out a new component or idea and it would be nice to have everything already setup.

Mike

upand_at_them said:
Jay.slovak said:

It's the same instruction set. I would say that more learning will get done and faster if you use a chip with a bootloader. You can test out ideas in seconds.

I'm thinking about making a dev board for the 16F88. It'll run a bootloader and have a small breadboard. And I'd run it of 4 rechargable AAs so no messy cord and I could use it with a laptop wherever I want. Lots of times I want to try out a new component or idea and it would be nice to have everything already setup.

Mike
Ofcourse their core is the same (therefore they have the same Instruction Set), but beginners will use tutorials for 16F628 and will get confused by extra features of 16F88... But if there's a developing board & tuttorial for 16F88, why not to start with it!

Jay.slovak said:
Ofcourse their core is the same (therefore they have the same Instruction Set), but beginners will use tutorials for 16F628 and will get confused by extra features of 16F88... But if there's a developing board & tuttorial for 16F88, why not to start with it!

It's no problem, you just need a couple of extra lines to make sure all the extras are turned OFF - my 628 tutorials already do that, turning OFF the comparators, so it works more like a 16F84.

From a beginning point of view, it's a good idea to have all extras turned OFF, and then turn then ON if you need them - in fact it's probably a good idea if you're experienced as well! :lol:

fsahmed said:
If u have studied intel microprocessors, then the intel 8051/52 or Atmel 89C51/52 would be perfect microcontrollers for a quick start. Their assembly languages r quite similar to intel assembly. An excellent book for it would be Intel 8051 Microcontrollers by M. A. Mazidi.

For FPGAs, it would be better that u develop a sound understanding of VLSI & ASICs first. An HDL language, such as VHSIC or Verilog would be a good support as well.

I learned that in school using that book, what was funny was that his brother was my teacher using that book. We would bug him asking hwere his book was? :D

U r quite lucky to be acquainted with someone so close to Mazidi, do u know that? He knows intel products inside out. I never paid much heed to 8051 microcontroller, was quite loyal to pic, until the book proved it to be much simpler programmingwise.

yeah, I know, inside I was honored by his teaching and I tell you he can teach! He would go through a class and no one would understand it until the last 10 mins when all he does is show you a diagram and suddenly everything just pops into your head and you acutally understand it. I tell you there were moments that people were going "huh?", "what?" then BOOM... everyone in class "AAAAHhhhhhhhh I see.....". BTW incase if anyone don't believe me his name is Shoja and he teaches at "Devry University" here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

https://www.devry.edu/calgary/

I saw his name in there somewhere......last time I checked...

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
Is that guy a godest to you guys?

Well, not exactly but he, all of a sudden made intel series of microcontrollers look worthwhile!!! & I have profited (both experience & monetary wise) from it a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back