Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Static hanging up my keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

Last spring (or late winter) I purchased an external monitor and external USB keyboard and mouse for my notebook computer. This made for a much nicer working environment.

On some occasions my keyboard would simply freeze up. At first I thought it was the small space heater in the room since it seemed to relate to when the problem occured but I discovered eventually that it was probably static due to the dry conditions. To resolve the problem I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in and it would again work fine, for awhile. When the weather warmed up, this was no longer a problem and was no longer an issue...until now.

Now with cold dry weather setting in, my external keyboard in now again locking up--and I have the whole winter before me. (The notebook keyboard works fine as does the mouse.) The keyboard sits on an 8' folding hard plastic table which I suspect generates static that is hanging up the keyboard. Other factors include a carpet floor.

What should I do to attempt to resolve this? I would rather not be tied to my table with an anti-static wrist strap. Does anyone feel that purchasing an antistatic mat and placing it under the keyboard would help or is there something else I should do? I would rather not purchase a new table unless that is my best hope. What should I try?

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back