Static hanging up my keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

Last spring (or late winter) I purchased an external monitor and external USB keyboard and mouse for my notebook computer. This made for a much nicer working environment.

On some occasions my keyboard would simply freeze up. At first I thought it was the small space heater in the room since it seemed to relate to when the problem occured but I discovered eventually that it was probably static due to the dry conditions. To resolve the problem I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in and it would again work fine, for awhile. When the weather warmed up, this was no longer a problem and was no longer an issue...until now.

Now with cold dry weather setting in, my external keyboard in now again locking up--and I have the whole winter before me. (The notebook keyboard works fine as does the mouse.) The keyboard sits on an 8' folding hard plastic table which I suspect generates static that is hanging up the keyboard. Other factors include a carpet floor.

What should I do to attempt to resolve this? I would rather not be tied to my table with an anti-static wrist strap. Does anyone feel that purchasing an antistatic mat and placing it under the keyboard would help or is there something else I should do? I would rather not purchase a new table unless that is my best hope. What should I try?

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…