Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor drivers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I am designing a circuit board to control 4 unipolar stepper motors. I planned on using the Allegro 5804 but they are obsolete. I have looked into some of their newer chips but can’t find much info or application notes. I want this board to drive any motor from 9 volts to 24 volts or more and at least 1 amp. What unipolar stepper motor driver chips do you guys like and where can I find info and application notes for them?

I have used the L297/L298 driver ICs before for my projects.

They are OK for most applications but unfortunately they occupy quite a lot of PCB space as the translator and the control ICs are seperate, and so may not be an ideal choice for a microcontroller based project.

A better alternative is the SLA 7062 driver ICs from Sanken Electronics, Only one single driver IC is required, the basic operations like motion selection (1/2 step, 1/4 or 1/8 step) , clockwise/anticlockwise rotation are all very easily implemented. The best feature is that the translator and the control ICs are all integrated in one IC, unlike the L297/L298.

the 7060/7061/7062 is a pretty hard chip to find, especially in small quantities. I got in on a group buy a year ago, min order was something like 60 units. It's a pretty nice chip but cost me around $10 each.

Using a small micro to drive 2 hbridges isn't that hard to do and may well be cheaper.

have you considered driving the steppers as bipolar motors? if they are 6 or 8 wire motors, you should be ok. there are a number of decent solutions like the A3977. The advantage is that they implement current limiting which allows you to drive the motors at a higher voltage and you don't have to use limiting resistors.

Quite right these ICs are expensive compared to other solutions. The H bridge is quite a simple one, and also effective. But the advantages of a driver IC (having current chopping control) cannot be ignored. The problem with a H bridge drive is that some current always flows through the motor, thus causing wastage. But for driver ICs this is not a problem as motor current is reduced after the end of motion.

I used H bridge drivers before and I found that the motor and the transistors always became hot even when there is no motion, we had to correct the problem by adding a relay that switched ON or OFF the motor supply when required. With the SLA 7062 or L297/L298 drivers this is not required.

Thanks guys
I asked an Allegro Engineer about the SLA 7050 and he suggested the .75 amp A3967 and sent me an application note on how to apply it to a unipolar stepper motor with no resistors or capacitors. If I knew for sure that I could do that with the 2.5 amp A3977, I would. The bipolar option would be an asset. The problem is that I am a digital kind of guy and not an engineer. They give a formula like this toff =Rt*Ct but they don’t tell what units they are working with. I did figure that one out with this spec.:Fixed Off Time Rt =56 k ,Ct =680 pF, toff = 38 µs
And this calculator **broken link removed**

This is the kind thing that hangs me up:
The maximum value of current limiting is set by the selection of Rs and the voltage at the V REF input with a transconductance function approximated by:
Itrip max =Vref /8Rs
The DAC output reduces the Vref output to the current-sense comparator in precise steps (see table 2 for (%I TRIP max at each step).
I TRIP =(%I TRIP max/100)x I TRIP max
It is critical to ensure that the maximum rating 0.5 on the SENSE terminal is not exceeded.
Current Sensing: Rs =0.5/ITRIP max
If I could find example circuits, I could adjust them to fit my needs.
I think I searched for SLA 7062 circuits but got no results. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

PS: RC Time Calculator
**broken link removed**
others
**broken link removed**
better
**broken link removed**
everything
http://www.csgnetwork.com/electronicsconverters.html

Last edited:
In the SLA 7062 data sheet that sense circuit wants an 0.1 to 2 ohm resistor. The only resistors I see at Digikey in that range are 5 watt. ???? It's only a sense input and four 5 watt resistors take up a lot of real estate.
Do you know where I can find any sample application circuits that I can use as a starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back