Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello, I have a Japanese Stepper motor that I want to use to drive a small platform up and down. I have zero experience with stepper motors so a beginners guide would really help. I do not require great precision ( one step = 360 degree revolution will do). I want to use a PIC16F84A to drive this motor back and forth. Please help

I assume that the motor I have is unipolar
Model number: KH56JM2B001

**broken link removed**

Thanks

Last edited:
get an allegro driver with mosfet output and and translator input, then all you need is an oscillator (step clock) to drive it.

Stepper motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is not bad, the animation forgets to tell you turn frame 2 off and 3, etc.

Do you have the specs/data sheet on the motor? You will need some drivers to move it though.

No data sheet unfortunately :(
Through Resistance measurement, I found that this is a Unipolar Motor (two windings + center tap)

It is 1.8 Degree/Step = 200 steps/revolution

Though I do not require such accuracy, it's nice to have a $100 stepper for free (pulled it out from commercial photo copier)

Last edited:
I can't seem to find a simple unipolar controller. My current requirements are 1Amp. I need a simple controller that can drive a unipolar center tapped stepper.

Please Help, Thanks

Last edited:
I can't seem to find a simple unipolar controller. My current requirements are 1Amp. I need a simple controller that can drive a unipolar center tapped stepper.

Please Help, Thanks

any bipolar controller will do fine whether across the whole winding or half. it will run at the same torque and voltage on half the winding or double torque on the full winding only thing is it will only run at half speed on the full winding because while you can double the voltage you will be quadrupling the inductance so it takes longer for the current to get up to the motors rating.

steppers really should not be rated in voltage since all that rating is is the resistance times the current rating, it is supplied for the sake of the crap controller chips (non current limited) that are still in the market.

If your motor has six leads coming from it, it is whats called a "hybrid" stepper. It can be used with either a bipolar or unipolar controller.

A strictly unipolar motor usually has only five leads. A strictly bipolar motor only has four leads.

If your motor has six leads coming from it, it is whats called a "hybrid" stepper. It can be used with either a bipolar or unipolar controller.

A strictly unipolar motor usually has only five leads. A strictly bipolar motor only has four leads.

ummmm... no.

hybrid refer to the mechanism for producing motion. it is a *hybrid* of of permanent magnet and variable reluctance effects that produce the motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back