Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Hi Guys,

I want to use this stepper motor... 57BYGH56-401A in a project im working on.

I also want to make my own controller for it using a pic. The motor will be set to one speed and will go either forward or backward for a set period of time.

Heres my problem, the motor is rated at 2.8a, so i am struggling to find a driver chip good enough, could anyone point me to a good circuit that uses fets or darlington transistors etc. I dont need the whole thing just from the outputs of the pic is all i need.

the other problem is in the data theres no voltage for the motor, so i dont know what voltage to apply to it. any ideas?

Cheers

Ok i figured a few things out, voltage for the motor, others are running it at 24v so i will do the same.

As for driving the motor, i have found that being a bipolar motor it needs 2 H-bridges. i have been looking at H bridges and dont know how to make it work so the motor will turn.

You could maybe consider using a pair of thses chips configured per the tutorial that can be found here.

The chip itself is rated at 3.0 amps but each chip would only be driving a single coil in the motor so there should not be any problem. Additionally the chip is good for up to 50 volts so again that should not be a problem.

Additionally some sample code is provided that could be modified for your needs. The merit to using a single off the shelf chip is obviously that you are not building two H bridges from individual discrete components. Anyway, something to consider.

Ron

You could add a NPN power transistor to each motor coil and connect them to the output of your PIC. That's a simple solution. Something like a 2N3055 will do nicely, but it's a little over kill. If you want something smaller, try a Power MOSFET like an IRF510 or IRL3103.

You could maybe consider using a pair of thses chips configured per the tutorial that can be found here.

The chip itself is rated at 3.0 amps but each chip would only be driving a single coil in the motor so there should not be any problem. Additionally the chip is good for up to 50 volts so again that should not be a problem.

Additionally some sample code is provided that could be modified for your needs. The merit to using a single off the shelf chip is obviously that you are not building two H bridges from individual discrete components. Anyway, something to consider.

Ron

or he could use a single allegro chip meant to drive steppers and has micro-stepping built in

Which is an even better solution. Never caught the Allegro chip. Got a link so he/we know what it is?

Thanks
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back