Stepper Motor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Hi Guys,

I want to use this stepper motor... 57BYGH56-401A in a project im working on.

I also want to make my own controller for it using a pic. The motor will be set to one speed and will go either forward or backward for a set period of time.

Heres my problem, the motor is rated at 2.8a, so i am struggling to find a driver chip good enough, could anyone point me to a good circuit that uses fets or darlington transistors etc. I dont need the whole thing just from the outputs of the pic is all i need.

the other problem is in the data theres no voltage for the motor, so i dont know what voltage to apply to it. any ideas?

Cheers

Ok i figured a few things out, voltage for the motor, others are running it at 24v so i will do the same.

As for driving the motor, i have found that being a bipolar motor it needs 2 H-bridges. i have been looking at H bridges and dont know how to make it work so the motor will turn.

You could maybe consider using a pair of thses chips configured per the tutorial that can be found here.

The chip itself is rated at 3.0 amps but each chip would only be driving a single coil in the motor so there should not be any problem. Additionally the chip is good for up to 50 volts so again that should not be a problem.

Additionally some sample code is provided that could be modified for your needs. The merit to using a single off the shelf chip is obviously that you are not building two H bridges from individual discrete components. Anyway, something to consider.

Ron

You could add a NPN power transistor to each motor coil and connect them to the output of your PIC. That's a simple solution. Something like a 2N3055 will do nicely, but it's a little over kill. If you want something smaller, try a Power MOSFET like an IRF510 or IRL3103.

or he could use a single allegro chip meant to drive steppers and has micro-stepping built in

Which is an even better solution. Never caught the Allegro chip. Got a link so he/we know what it is?

Thanks
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…