stepper motor idea help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_imum2000

hello
i have an idea but i dont know where to start, so i would please like you to give me your thoughts and ideas.

ok
i made a bipolar driver for stepper motors.
its rated about 5amp, 60volts.

now there are many unipolar steppers out there. (6 and 8 wires)
i am thinking of some sort of circuit that you can connect these wires in any order to this circuit, it then measure the resistance between them and reconnect the wires in order to make the motor run as bipolar series or parallel (a small switch to make the circuit connect them either way)
that will avoid manual connections and errors.

thats about it

any ideas please ??

thanks a lot

I'm not sure that you can run a four phase motor as if it were a two phase motor. The internal geometry of the windings is different. Bipolar motors depend on the reversal of current direction while the unipolar motor's windings are either on or off to create the stepping sequence. This looks like another solution looking for a problem. How hard can it be to connect a motor with color coded leads?

well actually u can connect a uipolar as bipolar motor very easly
you can just google it and you will find a lot of explantion about it.

why do i want to do that.

-many of the commercial drivers and hobby ones (including mine) will blow up the driver IC if you connect them in a wrong way or connect/diconnect them while the power is on.

-also there are increased performance in torque at low speed if u connect them as bipolar series and at high speed when u connect them at bipolar parallel, current will double in parallel connection and will be half in series as we use half the winding.

- color coding is differnet from one motor manfacture to another so not every motor will work in the same connection.

i am trying to take all this from the user mind and automate it.

thanks

It would take a microcontroller, and some circuitry to measure resistance between all wires, figure out how the motor is wired, then re-assign them in a bi-polar configuration. Of course, you could use the same MCU as the driver. It seems like a lot of trouble and expense for something you would do just one time with an ohm meter. If the motor is a total unknown, you would still be putting the drive circuit at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…