Stepper Motor Related

Elisa

Hi guys,
I am thinking of building a Voron 2.4 25cm and am currently checking the BOM to see if I can do it.
I have decided that one of the key points in order to make the build higher quality than some kit printers is to choose high quality steppers (at least I think so).
The 2.4 BOM lists NEMA17 17HS19-2004S motors and NEMA17 17HS08-1004S motors. When I try to google them, a number of unnamed steppers come up. I found one that looks promising as an alternative to the 1004S: https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-31...-13Ncm-184ozin-1A-35V-42x42x20mm-4-Wires.html, at least the shaft size, length/shape seem to be the same as recommended by the nomenclature. Is this stepper motor special for the 3D printing industry, so few manufacturers make it?
The reason I ask these questions is because no one seems to care about steppers.

You'll have to define "high quality steppers" for me and what's your budget.

NEMA 17 Steppers (2A /50oz) are available from $259 down to $6 and all will move fairly accurate 1.8° with each step. Are you worried about corrosion resistance, bearing materials, avoiding vibration damage to bearings (false brinneling), EMI shielding, EMI emissions, etc. what exactly are you looking for to make your 3D printer "better" and what are you printing that makes the $6 motors unacceptable?

Any NEMA17 motor should have the same "face" dimensions. They generally also have an appropriate 5mm shaft.

I do not see any point in trying to find "higher quality" motors. Higher TORQUE, yes!

For anything other than a small physical build, I'd also advise axis motors with built in connectors, rather than flying leads. That allows you to use appropriate cable lengths rather than having connectors at fixed distances from the motors.

The printer capabilities will be down to to motor torque and the stepper driver capabilities, plus correct mechanical setup and tuning - and the quality of the control board.

It looks like most people are using very basic control boards with Voron builds. If you want a really good system, I'd go for a Duet3D controller - I've used those for both simple three axis delta type and large CoreXY with toolchanger, eight motors and five heaters all in.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…