Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper question

Should I use the motor as bipolar?

• Yes, you will benifit from that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it will use up more or the same power to get the same torque, no need to do that.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterLB

I have an unipolar stepper motor.
There is a possibility not to use the common wires and use it as a bipolar motor. Will I benifit from that? Will I get more torque?
Of course, if I do that the circuit will be far more complex, but I don't care about that. So, do I get more torque, or more power if I use it as a bipolar?

I guess there will be less heating if I use the bipolar method as I am spreading the same amount of current on a longer wire (e.g. the entire coil). I'll make two test boards one for the unipolar method and one for the bipolar and see if there's any difference. Thanks for the help anyway.

Not true mneary, some (all?) 6 wire unipolar steppers can be wired as bipolar.

As long as the current is the same the torque should be the same, you're not inherantly changing anything about the motor just the way it's driven.

When a six-wire stepper is wired as bipolar, each pair of windings becomes one series inductor with twice as many turns, twice the DC resistance, and 4X the inductance. At the original voltage each winding will get half the current, but since there are twice the turns the torque will be the same. Sounds like something for nothing, but you pay the price in speed, as the current takes longer to build due to the added inductance.

I use unipolar stepper motors all the time, I use a SLA 7062M translator device with these steppers, I find these very efficient.

The motors do not get hot even after extensive use.....

thanks
a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back