Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper stall / load detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm glad to see there wasn't 10 replies in the first hour -- this just tells me that the question confuses the rest of you as much as it does me -- and, well, now I don't feel so stupid! :D

I'm no expert but ....
- Back emf is tough to detect reliably for slow moving things like this.
- Current isn't hard to detect, but for steppers isn't a good indication of stall since they operate at low speed and continuous high current anyway.

Other ideas....
- Sacrificial mechanical link?
- Detect torque mechanically? (Easiest way to do this is to let the stepper flex and detect how far it moves)
- Position feedback? (optical encoder - compare where you think it is to where it really is - cut out if too far out of alignment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back