Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stereo from a mono source??? pls help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzanmarx

hi everybody
just want to ask for opinions...
i want to make an audio amplifier, my signal source is my phone... 7610... it ouputs mono, i know its impossible to recover the original stereo signal but i still want to make it sound better...

is there any solution to this other from buying an stereo phone or an mp3 player... hehe...

i think of something but i'm not sure if it'll work... pls guide me.
here it is...
is it ok if i use filters and allow some bands of frequencies to be output to left channel and others to the right channel???

i saw a project in the threads of microcontrollers, a system that generates an artificial stereo image (maybe possible for sound???) by inserting a 5 ms delay in one channel... i can imagine how will this make an artificial stereo but what do i need to have that delay???... pls help, thanks...

Stereo is a lot more than just some frequencies on the left side and other frequencies on the right side. Adding delay just messes up the signal.

Try listening to stereo music then switch back and forth to mono. The difference is huge.

The mono MP3 player in your phone must be made for people who have only one ear.

thanks sir,
but i think i have a pair of ears... lol..
is there any diference when allowing bands of frequencies on the channels and hearing the whole sound in both channels?... i am really madly desparate of improving my hearing experience with my phone... can i improve its treble or can i boost its bass using some amplifiers for stereo???... thanks

dzanmarx said:
is there any diference when allowing bands of frequencies on the channels and hearing the whole sound in both channels

or i must say, will there be any improvement???
:)

Forget it, the bandwidth of a phone is 300Hz to 3kHz, you need a minimum bandwidth of 60Hz to 15kHz to get anywhere near reasonable quality. That's five times the bandwidth!

What you're trying to do is trying to make energy from nothing! It isn't possible!

dzanmarx said:
hi everybody
just want to ask for opinions...
i want to make an audio amplifier, my signal source is my phone... 7610... it ouputs mono, i know its impossible to recover the original stereo signal but i still want to make it sound better...

........................ pls help, thanks...

Hi, perhaps you may be ableto recore or play outgoing sound and incoming sound on seperate channels. for this you may have to open the phone and pick up the concerned points or remove the handset cable(4Wire) and connect it to your device. Again recoverthe same on a parallel socket and reconnect it to the Handset (It amounts taping the mic and receiver seperately). If you call it as stereo, then Fine. Atleast it can help you listen both paries at equal sound-as otherwise local originated is generally louder if you tap line point.

thanks..
i have'nt try to open my phone... but i'll try... is there any solution to improve the sound or can i amplify it to make it sound better...

There are some simulated stereo processors out there that use some eq processing to fool your head into thinking that the image is wider than it really is however most of the "magic" (or lack thereof) comes from added stereo reverb ...

The problem with adding 5ms of delay, or any amount of delay in that range is that your brain recognizes the time difference as it hears the initial sound first and then the second sound. Due to what is called the Haas effect, all this added delay does is shift the image in the direction of the initial (un-delayed) source which is probably not what you're aiming for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haas_effect

Just use a Y-connector so both your ears are receiving sound...I don't think it's really worth the effort to try and add delays and all that. It's impossible to recover stereo data once it has been turned into mono since that Left-Right sound data is lost forever.

Adding delays also just changes the directon of the sound, so everything sounds like it's coming from your left which isn't exactly great.

Isn't it a modern cell phone with a high resolution colour movie camera, an FM radio (mine is stereo and is high fidelity) and an MP3 player that has a response from 20Hz to 20kHz? Maybe all it needs to play stereo music is stereo earphones.

I have never heard anybody wanting to play the terribly distorted and bandwidth-limited sounds of a telephone in stereo before.

Last edited:
dzanmarx said:
thanks..
i have'nt try to open my phone... but i'll try... is there any solution to improve the sound or can i amplify it to make it sound better...

Hi, if it is Nokia dont open-- nothing to access much by us. i did't see that7610 earlier

fIRST OF ALL YOU CANNOT GET BLOOD OUT OF A STONE MONO means mono stereo is stereo one chanel or 2 chanels and believe me your ears are not good enough to hear inprovements not unless you have those two sources switching in-out and must be very good ears.

There is a huge difference between the "dead" sound of mono and the "alive" sound of stereo. Surround sound adds another dimension.

Soround sound is very dead sound. I have never heard it.
Surround sound adds another dimension to mono or stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back