Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Store and then display text on small lcd..how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzah

Hi,

I want to build a device where I can store multiple lines of text and then display and scroll down through those lines on a small lcd. Like the size of a scientific calculator (say 16 x 2).

Once programmed the text wouldnt change. It only needs to be scrolled through with the press of up or down buttons.

I dont know where to start reading. If anyone can point me towards the correct topics I can narrow my research.

Thankyou.

Hi,

I want to build a device where I can store multiple lines of text and then display and scroll down through those lines on a small lcd. Like the size of a scientific calculator (say 16 x 2).

Once programmed the text wouldnt change. It only needs to be scrolled through with the press of up or down buttons.

I dont know where to start reading. If anyone can point me towards the correct topics I can narrow my research.

Thankyou.

hi,
Look at Nigel's tutorials, link near my signature on this post..

I do a lot of this sort of stuff with the Picaxe chips, which is a micro processor that is very easy to use and requires no special programming board, and a programming language that is basically in english and not a mind bending form of coded language.

It is no where near as powerful as the raw pic or other micros but for basic stuff like this its an excellent chip to start with in using micro processors and extremely well supported with the picaxe forum.

The 20x2 chip would be my choice for this application.

Pete.

Thanks for the help. Im thinking this might be a bit too hard for me.

Quick question though - Could a device like this be powered by battery? I assume so seeing calculators are.

If anyone knows of a kit to build what I am after that would be amazing. I have found a few like this https://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html but Im still a little short the knowledge to understand if that is what I need.

Thanks guys

Would this work? **broken link removed**

I got to it via a picaxe site but I dont think it is a picaxe? Would I be able to connect a couble of buttons for my up and down scrolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back