Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stripboard Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMUGangsta

Hi All,

How much current can standard 0.1" Stripboard carry safely?

I would like to mount a few relays, and pass 230v AC @ 5amp through them, will stripboard handle that on a single track?

What would my current limit be @ 12v DC?

Thanks

230VAC has a peak voltage of 325V and is higher during spikes. Stripboard might arc.
Stripboard has thin narrow tracks that have holes. Look it up yourself, 0.5A max maybe, not 5A.

5A is 5A. Voltage causes the other problem above (arcing). 5A of current makes thin wires very hot (fire).

My other option was to use relays with 'fast-on' terminals, which are rated at 10Amp 230v - which is what I think i'll do, and just use the stripboard for the control circuitry.

I have suitable wire for connecting to the relays, I just thought it may be neater on strip board rather than a rats nest inside my project box.

I lhave used stripboard quite a lot, but only for 5v circuits @ <1 Amp - when i searched on google i found a multitude of answers, as well as people building up the tracks with solder, and cutting off the adjoining tracks - but that seemed less than satisfactory.

Thats why I asked here - the most knowledgable place on the 'net :D

If you're using Veroboard for mains, remove the tracks either side of the ones you're using (or more), and leave good sized gaps at the end, this cures the voltage problems. As for high current, just like a PCB, solder thick wires along the tracks.

Thats handy to remember, but does seem like a lot of work - will be good in an emergency though :D

Thats handy to remember, but does seem like a lot of work

No, it's dead easy and fast - just solder heavily along the track you want to remove, and keep the soldering iron in place until the adhesive holding the copper down softens - then just slide a sharp blade under one corner of the copper, and peel it off in a single piece. Takes longer to type than to do! :D

Excellent - its little hints like that make life easier, i thought id need to run along each hole in the track with the spot cutter to remove it - taking time, and surely reducing the mechanical strength of the board.

I used Veroboard and cheaper ordinary stripboard a lot. The max voltage I used was 15V and the max current was about 100mA.
Of course its max allowed ratings are much more but I didn't want to see my projects catch on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back