Stuck on a formula... Any Help would be Awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyR23

Hi, I have a question about a new formula that just came up in a chapter I am studying... it is to determine the time elapsed between a switch closing and the control relay energizing. It is found using the following equation:

t = R1 C1 ln 1/1-η

where t = elapsed time, in seconds
R1 = resistance, in ohms
C1 = capacitance, in farads.
η = intrinsic standoff ratio of UJT

so I have a question and answer: with diagram but you guys can probably help without having to see the diagram:

I am trying to find t

20 k ohms for R1
1000 µF for capacitance
0.75 for η

The answer is t = 27.7 seconds

I don't know what ln is in the equation is so that is probably is why I can't figure it out, and can't find that anywhere in the chapter.

So if anyone can explain the ln in this equation that would be awesome!!!! Thanks guys!!

t = R1 C1 ln 1/1-η

`ln' stands for natuaral logarithms. `log' is generally used to denote common logarithms, also known as logarithms to the base 10. Natural logarithms use the transcendental number `e' as the base. The value of e to 10 significant figures is
Code:
e = 2.718281828...
Don't be deceived, the sequence 1828 does not repeat, it is just one of those strange coincidences.
BTW ln(1 / 1 - n) for n = .75 is ln (4) ≈ 1.386

Last edited:

Haven't done unijunctions for a while, but

20k x 1000µF is 20 sec. for this RC circuit to reach 63.2% of final value and
Vo = V[1-e^(-t/rc)]
if Vo= 0.75V then 0.75 = 1-e()
so e() = 0.25.
ln 0.25 = -t/rc
-1.386 = -t/20
t = 27.7

Last edited:
thanks guys!! Much appreciated!! I figured it out, found the ln function on my calc., haven't used that before!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…