Stupid PIC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've mentioned before, I'm still a big newbie. How I have this set up is:

9v 210mA wall wart going into a 7805, out putting a good 5.08v on average.
Two .022uF polyster-film caps and a 20Mhz crystal, as arranged in the PIC16F87X datasheet example. The PIC is a 16F876A.

Now, I wrote a program onto it that should just set TRISA to 0 and PORTA to 101010b, and then I expect to be able to test it by using my multimeter on the RA0, RA1, etc. pins and finding a high voltage (5v).

However, when this is all up and running, I check the pins and they're wildly bouncing around from .3v to 5v, just up and down. What could the problem be? I've double and triple checked all my connections (powers, oscillator setup) but they're all right, and the program I made works in the PIC Simulator. Any ideas?

Presuming the two capacitors are the ones conected to the crystal?, they should be 22pF, your ones are a thousand times too large! (0.022uF is 22nF).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Presuming the two capacitors are the ones conected to the crystal?, they should be 22pF, your ones are a thousand times too large! (0.022uF is 22nF).

Carp, I forgot that Nano sits between Pico and Micro. Well, thanks, maybe I won't be so stupid next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…