Substitute for fuse bulb in Christmas net lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepusey

I have a set of 4-channel net lights. Each channel has it's own fuse bulb. Unfortunatly i am running low on fuse bulbs and CANNOT get any spares AT ALL. :cry:

I am going to have to use normal bulbs to replace them instead. I have already build a dimmer pack for the lights and was wondering if it would be possible to use normal fuses (20x5mm type) as a substitute for the fuse bulbs. These would be added to the outputs of the dimmer pack. If so, would this be just as safe and what value fuses would i need to use?

If you need furthur explanation, i can post a diagram.

Shure why not an ordenary fuse.If you dont know at what ampege the fuse lamp is try to slowly increse the curent trught it and mesure it whith an multimerer wen it burns out (If you have an variable power suply)
Or pull out the fuse lamp an repace it whith an multimere set to mA mesurment plug it in and use an fuse slitly more that the reding on the multimerer

Its that simple!

Well the label says a normal bulb is 0.14A and a fuse bulb is 0.13A. There are 27 (26 normal + 1 fuse) bulbs per channel (wired in series). Does this help?

yeah, you would want to use a .13A fuse, maybe even alittle bigger if they keep blowing.

jrz126 said:
yeah, you would want to use a .13A fuse, maybe even alittle bigger if they keep blowing.

Yeah thats kinda the problem that keep blowing at random for no reason at all and now i dont have any replacements. Would a 150mA fuse be ok? Also, quick blow or slow blow?

are you running them at the correct voltage? If the voltage is increased, they will draw more current. Try measuring the resistance of a bulb too.

jrz126 said:
are you running them at the correct voltage? If the voltage is increased, they will draw more current. Try measuring the resistance of a bulb too.

There are 27 bulbs per channel (26 normal + 1 fuse) wired in series and powered by the mains. This gives 8.89V per bulb @ 240V mains.

davepusey said:
There are 27 bulbs per channel (26 normal + 1 fuse) wired in series and powered by the mains. This gives 8.89V per bulb @ 240V mains.

The mains voltage in the UK (and all of the EU) was standardised at 230V quite a few years ago now - although the UK has a different tolerance rating to the rest of the EU.

Yeah whatever. What size fuse do I need (earlier we thinks 150mA) and do i need slow blow or quick blow type?

davepusey said:
Yeah whatever. What size fuse do I need (earlier we thinks 150mA) and do i need slow blow or quick blow type?

Personally I'd just stick a normal bulb in! - it's only recently that they've started sticking fuse bulbs in - and as you say, they blow all the time for no reason!.

But isnt the fuse bulb put in there for electrical safety reasons?

davepusey said:
But isnt the fuse bulb put in there for electrical safety reasons?

Yes, but try asking yourself what it's protecting against!.

Then try asking yourself why the millions upon millions of older lights didn't have them!.

davepusey said:
So what is the answer please?

You perhaps noticed the resounding silence?.

As I mentioned before, for my own lights I'd probably fit a normal bulb, for a customer in the shop I'd either fit the correct fuse bulb - or scrap the lights!.

So you suggest I should just use normal bulbs and if anything goes wrong the fuse in the plug will blow?

davepusey said:
So you suggest I should just use normal bulbs and if anything goes wrong the fuse in the plug will blow?

It's what I would do for myself, it's up to you if you do the same!.

You should also think about 'what can go wrong', and what advantage the fuse bulb might give.

I think the UK is pretty unique in having fused plugs, most countries have plugs with much lower safety standards. As such, with lights such as these, the ONLY fuse is the one in the string of lights. In the UK you have a fuse (which should be a 3A one) in the 13A plug - elsewhere there would only be the fuse in the disribution board.

I 'suspect' this is the reason for the fuse bulb, mainly for countries other than the UK.

Those are some very good points. I will try it with normal bulbs and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…