Successful DIY SMD board

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

Just thought I'd post a link quickly to my latest blog entry: **broken link removed**

It's a neat process and really easy. Just a shame those SMD parts are more expensive, as it really does shrink the size of boards.

Feel free to ask any questions, 3v0 helped me extensively with this and I'd like to share the knowledge

Just a shame those SMD parts are more expensive, as it really does shrink the size of boards.

This is pretty surprising. I've never found an SMD part that's more expensive than the equivalent through hole component.

This must be a Farnell thing, because Digikey/Mouser you can get 0805 resistors for less than 3 cents each for quantity of 50. I can't find anything close to that in through hole unless I get into the 5000 quantity range. Maybe Farnell has a huge backlog of through hole they want to get rid of.

...and yes, ordering in big quantities is where the SMD parts get really cheap in comparison. Not that that helps us much. I don't really need 5000 22k Ohm resistors.

Last edited:
Rapid Online have 0805's for 54 pence per 100, 1/2p each. The only problem is the postage slams the price up. At least with Farnell it's free.

Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…