Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest a simple remote for automatic blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I know I'm always here with one project after another, but they get done.

So now I'm working on remote controlled blinds. I have moved to a loft and it has huge windows on one side and the bedroom wall doesn't go all the way to the roof. I like the open concept but I don't want to go turn all three blinds closed every night and open every morning, plus automatic ones would be slick. I have the motorization figured out, it's just a gear motor with a limit switch and an H-bridge connected to a latch. What I need is a remote.

Originally I was going to build a transmitter, but that really seems more trouble than it's worth, it basically just needs to transmit two states, up and down. I don't think it's worth the time to build a radio transmitter for that, also a store bought one would probably look better. Can you guys suggest one to buy? I want radio because I may not have line of sight, though at most I will be 15 meters away and through one partial wall. And I only need to send two signals. I am fine with something that needs modifications. I was just drawing up a way to do it with an OOK radio module and started noticing that for the $20 doing it myself will save me (at most) it's just not worth it. I have google searched but all the cheap pre-made remotes I find are already set up to go to an AC relay or a TV, and those ones are IR. There are cool keychain garage door opener controls that would be great, but I'm not sure how hard it might be to make a receiver for that. It could plug into a wall on the end with the blinds, if that helps, but since I don't want to plug in the controller a powerline control system probably isn't the best option. You guys always have some good practical ideas.

Something like this but with a way to connect it to an electronic project would be perfect

Last edited:
Thanks, I ordered one from dinodirect for 7.23 with shipping. I can see how the whole circuit works, but at that price, by the time I bought the components and had them shipped id already be spending more. I think I'll take off the leads to the relays for my control though, since i need one state to run up then stop and the other to run down then stop, and I believe this is one push on one push off.

did you get the remote and the receiver board.

If its the boards with the brown 4 button control, then the ones i have used like that are programmable to the button functions, 1 on 2 off , 1 on and 1 off, or toggle, etc, they really are a neat cheap little remote.
You also can get extra remotes and they will program to the receiver with a push of a button on the receiver, so the receiver will except several remotes on different frequencys.

If you stretch the antenna wire out on the receiver it will increase the signal distance.

I agree you could not build a remote for the cost of these modules.

Pete.

I got one of the same brand you put up but with two buttons and two relays. This one right here. I like that it's made out of all parts i can identify and use, I could even design and build a unit like this, which means it's easy to modify.

as to KISS: The learning IR project is a Lot of Fun: push a button, input a RLL (run length limited) stream, repeat it: if match, blink an LED. Push button again: write RLL parms to flash. Built my first ~'86: Real Simple: no flash, power cycle req'd relearn etc. I've built several since, they all get better... Best advantage: No RF Voodoo. G.H. <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back