Suggest a simple remote for automatic blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I know I'm always here with one project after another, but they get done.

So now I'm working on remote controlled blinds. I have moved to a loft and it has huge windows on one side and the bedroom wall doesn't go all the way to the roof. I like the open concept but I don't want to go turn all three blinds closed every night and open every morning, plus automatic ones would be slick. I have the motorization figured out, it's just a gear motor with a limit switch and an H-bridge connected to a latch. What I need is a remote.

Originally I was going to build a transmitter, but that really seems more trouble than it's worth, it basically just needs to transmit two states, up and down. I don't think it's worth the time to build a radio transmitter for that, also a store bought one would probably look better. Can you guys suggest one to buy? I want radio because I may not have line of sight, though at most I will be 15 meters away and through one partial wall. And I only need to send two signals. I am fine with something that needs modifications. I was just drawing up a way to do it with an OOK radio module and started noticing that for the $20 doing it myself will save me (at most) it's just not worth it. I have google searched but all the cheap pre-made remotes I find are already set up to go to an AC relay or a TV, and those ones are IR. There are cool keychain garage door opener controls that would be great, but I'm not sure how hard it might be to make a receiver for that. It could plug into a wall on the end with the blinds, if that helps, but since I don't want to plug in the controller a powerline control system probably isn't the best option. You guys always have some good practical ideas.

Something like this but with a way to connect it to an electronic project would be perfect

Last edited:
Thanks, I ordered one from dinodirect for 7.23 with shipping. I can see how the whole circuit works, but at that price, by the time I bought the components and had them shipped id already be spending more. I think I'll take off the leads to the relays for my control though, since i need one state to run up then stop and the other to run down then stop, and I believe this is one push on one push off.

did you get the remote and the receiver board.

If its the boards with the brown 4 button control, then the ones i have used like that are programmable to the button functions, 1 on 2 off , 1 on and 1 off, or toggle, etc, they really are a neat cheap little remote.
You also can get extra remotes and they will program to the receiver with a push of a button on the receiver, so the receiver will except several remotes on different frequencys.

If you stretch the antenna wire out on the receiver it will increase the signal distance.

I agree you could not build a remote for the cost of these modules.

Pete.

I got one of the same brand you put up but with two buttons and two relays. This one right here. I like that it's made out of all parts i can identify and use, I could even design and build a unit like this, which means it's easy to modify.

as to KISS: The learning IR project is a Lot of Fun: push a button, input a RLL (run length limited) stream, repeat it: if match, blink an LED. Push button again: write RLL parms to flash. Built my first ~'86: Real Simple: no flash, power cycle req'd relearn etc. I've built several since, they all get better... Best advantage: No RF Voodoo. G.H. <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…